Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Getting What You Want


Recently our local ALDA president asked me to write about my experience of trying to get accommodations for my son's high school graduation ceremony this past June. I thought I would include it in here as well. Many of us struggle through this process when we attend public events. In the same newsletter, another friend will be writing about how she tried to get accommodations when she was called for jury duty. Why is it the wheelchair ramps and braille on the doors and elevators are always in place, but the deaf have to make special requests?? Then we have to fight tooth and nail to get it. Here's my story--

I had been through the process of lining up accommodations for my kids' graduation ceremonies before. I knew I needed to start early. With that in mind I typed off my first email to one of the high school counselors in charge of the ceremonies named Sara in early April. Then I said a silent prayer that the other one, Dave, wouldn't be involved in arranging details for that portion of the night's events. I had dealt with him before.

When I didn't hear back for several weeks, I emailed again. If you have normal hearing you might be wondering why I didn't call. I do not hear very well. I might have used IP relay, but like every other business in America, the school has an automated answering system with a menu requiring a series of numbers to be systematically punched in before a human comes on the line. The relay operators can't punch the numbers for us, and by the time they tell us the selections on the menus, we make our choices, then tell the relay operators what numbers to punch in, the automatic machines automatically hang-up. It's a nightmare for deaf people-- but that's for another blog. Anyway, so I emailed the counselor a second time and received this prompt reply back.

(And yes!! These excerpts are from REAL emails I have saved on my computer, but the names have been changed.)

From Sara-

"Kim,
I forwarded your emails to Dave. You haven't heard from him?"


DRAT!! This is not good, I thought. Then I emailed Dave.

"Hi Dave,
I am deaf. I will need accommodations for the graduation ceremony on _____. I contacted Sara on _____, and she said she forwarded my requests to you. What I need is this:

http://www.ncdhh.ne.gov/brochures/cart_broch.pdf.
It's called Computer Assisted Real-Time Transcription, and basically requires hiring a transcriber, providing a screen and special equipment. The cost is normally about $125.000 and I can provide you with a list of transcribers in the Seattle area, but they need to be lined up soon. They provide their own equipment and screen. I am not fluent in ASL, as I'm late-deafened, so hiring an interpreter wouldn't be a good idea.


Please get back to me as soon as possible so we may make arrangements as I feel it's getting late."


From Dave--
Kim, I have been doing graduations for over 10 years for ___, andhave never been aware nor asked to look into either of these options. I have no idea who to turn to for this particular equipment.
I am not sure I will have the time to take care of this and I do not know who would take care of the costs. I am not aware of the person who provided you with (. . .the past accommodations) I will check with __________, ASB Activities Coordinator,on Monday . . .

DRAT--AND DOUBLE-DRAT!! I thought. He had done nothing!!! (ARGHHG!!) WHY did he wait so long? Why did he not find out who would pay at least? When was he going to tell me he wasn't planning to do anything? And WHY did he think the Associated Student Body should pay for my accommodations? What?! Were they supposed to hold a bake sale to pay for the CART and transcriber? Did the ASB have to pay for the wheelchair ramps too? Get real! I had to do some deep breathing and relaxation exercises before sending my next email.


My email to the principal--
Dear Ms. Principal,
My son will be graduating on June ___, and I am in need of accommodations for the ceremony as I am deaf. I emailed ______about this on _______ and haven't heard back. I will need preferential seating, and Computer Assisted Relay-Transcription(CART). I can provide you with a list of people who offer this service. . . . Please let me know what you plan to do to accommodate me for my son's graduation ceremony. If I don't hear back soon, within the week, I plan to contact the Office of Civil Rights to file a complaint against the school district.


Message from Ms Principal-
Hello Ms. _____I am now just reviewing my e-mails. I am sorry that Ms. ______ was not able to get back with you yet about your accommodation request. She is researching how to get what you have requested so she can have information when contacting you. . . . I also cc. Mr. ______. . . . Please know we are well aware of the right you have to have accommodations and the need to help you. That all being said, I personally want you to be able to enjoy this important moment for you son, _____. We will make sure your request is honored. . . Thanks for letting me know of your concern.


And I DID enjoy his graduation! We were seated as close to the stage as possible. I sat right next to the transcriber, who typed every word, even the announcements and the words to the songs were typed onto the screen too. It was fabulous!! The song lyrics were appropriate and moving. The student commencement speeches were sweet and funny and eloquent in the upbeat, informal, endearing way only eighteen-year-olds can be. I enjoyed it SO MUCH!! The school paid. Yahoo!


What I have learned is:
1) Start your requests early
2) Know what you want
3) Have information ready
4) Don't back down
5) Play hardball if you need to. You have nothing to lose. As my mother always said--"The squeaky wheel gets the oil."


I also want to point out my threat to file a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights was not a bluff. I have filed against the school district in the past, and would have done it again. I have a hunch Ms. Principal was well aware of this, even though it wasn't her school I filed against. Know your rights and do not make empty threats.

It is nice to follow up with a thank-you note afterwards, though not absolutely necessary since they are required by federal law to accommodate you, but it's still thoughtful and smooths things over after you've given them such a hard time making them jump through hoops and all. 8-)
By the way, none of the graduates pictured above are my son. Those are graduates of Florida State. I just thought it was a cute picture.

No comments: