Wednesday, August 22, 2007

My Top Five Hearing Aid Hate List


My Top Five Hearing Aid Hate List:

1. Noise distortion.
A) Over--amplification in frequency ranges where I don't need it.
B) Under-amplification in the frequency ranges where I need it.
C) Over-amplified noise drowning out the under-amplified sounds I need to hear.

2. Discomfort-
A) Too much stuff in, on, around the ears.
B) Plugged up feeling inside the ears.
C) Weight hanging over ears.
D) Soreness of molds where rubbing inside the ears.
E) Sweaty when hot.
F) Stickiness after wearing for awhile.

3. Whistling like a teapot at all the wrong times. (Is there ever a right time for that piercing squeal we all know as the dreaded "feedback"? Have any of you ever been sitting quietly in your book group trying to listen to the discussion when someone says, "What's that . . NOISE?" The room becomes deadly quiet as the others cock their ears like hunting Labradors. Then one of them points to you. "It's HER!" she yelps accusingly. They all stare in disbelief as you tootle away. You've been caught again-- disrupting the book group with inappropriate noises.) FEEDBACK.

4. I can't hear anyway.

5. Why do they cost so much?!?

What's on YOUR hate list? CI wearers feel free to chime in even though you have different issues.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

I think you've covered all of mine in your list. Even with compression, people coughing near me is painful!

You know that Vocational Rehabilitation will pay for hearing aids if you're working, right? I didn't pay a dime for my $3300 hearing aids or my $3000 Phonak SmartLink!

Email me if you need more info, ok?

Cindy

http://beethovensears.com

Kim said...

I really would like more info about how to get the DVR to cover the Smartlink Cindy. I've been working with them and they seem to think my place of work should pay for all my accommodations. I would use the Smartlink outside of work as well. Thanks for the info.

I know what you mean about coughing and other noises being painful. (sigh) When I first got these hearing aids I had to have some frequencies turned down because barking dogs and dish clatter hurt to the point of bringing tears to my eyes. After he turned those frequencies down I could no longer hear several speech sounds.

Cindy said...

They're passing the buck!

I didn't have to fight to get mine - VR readily bought it because my audiologist recommended it. Is your VR counselor hoh or Deaf? Maybe the empathy factor is missing.

Emphasize that you aren't hearing well with your hearing aids, and you're having a hard time doing your job because of it. Your employer is not expected to provide hearing aids for you, and your hearing aids aren't working effectively. Make them see that the SmartLink (or a similar device) will boost the power of your hearing aids and help you do your job. Also, tell them that it would be a hardship for your employer to pay $3000 for the SmartLink (it's not in the budget).
The next step is to complain to the State Director in charge of VR. Contact VR's Client Assistance Program for details on the steps you need to take.

Cindy

Please keep me informed!