Sunday, December 2, 2007

Hillis Arnold 1906- 1988

I haven't blogged about a great deaf person in a couple weeks. When I opened my book of talented deaf Americans, it was Hillis Arnold's page. I'm glad. I've looked at his sculptures and read about him a couple times now.

He was born hearing in N. Dakota, then became deaf as an infant due to spinal meningitis. As a young child he enjoyed drawing and showed some skill using colored pencils. His earliest memories of sculpting was after a rainstorm when he made animal shapes out of the mud on his farm.


He was raised orally by his parents who worked with him on vocalization exercises after doing farm chores each day. At the age of 12 his family moved to Minnesota, where he was able to attend the Minneapolis Day School for the Deaf. Then he went to public high school and graduated with honors. From there he earned a B.A. cum laude from the University of Minnesota. Then he received a full scholarship to the Minneapolis School of Fine Arts. Next, he went to the Cranbrook Academy of Art in Michigan and finally the Chicago Institute of Art.




In 1938, Arnold took a professorship at Monticello College in Illinois and remained teaching there for thirty-four years, while working on art commissions. Of teaching he said, "Communication with my students has never been a serious problem. At our first meeting I tell the students that by the end of the first or second week I will be able to read their lips if they move their lips a bit slower, and that they will understand me as they get used to my way of speaking." Arnold received many prestigious awards and recognitions for his work over the years. Most of it had religious themes and can be found in churches throughout the Midwest. Other works are in schools or downtown St. Louis.


Some of his sculptures incorporated deaf themes. "Because I am deaf, I am a better observer." he once said. One of his deaf sculptures called The Learners is a depiction of a mother practicing speech exercises with her deaf child. Another, called Deaf Given A Voice portrays an eye and an arm with moving fingers to represent how Deaf people use both their eyes and hands to communicate. Though Arnold never learned ASL or even fingerspelling, he was an advocate of Total Communication- the concept of using any and every possible means to communicate with a deaf/Deaf child.


Reading over the articles I found and writing this short sketch of his life, I got a sense that Hillis Arnold considered himself an artist first, not D/deaf first. His deafness was part of who he was, but not his main identity. It seems he was too busy teaching and creating sculptures to think much about his deaf experience. Still he acknowledged his deafness in some of his art when appropriate to do so. I like this about him.










8 comments:

Karen Mayes said...

Hey! I have met him when I was a child, attending Central Institute for the Deaf. CID hired him to do a sculptural work (yup, The Learners!) It was in 1970's, we the children visited a studio and watched him in the action. It was awesome! He talked to us, answering our questions, etc. I remember him an old man and I was impressed by the process of sculpturing (mold, etc.)

I have the picture of the kids (including me) standing around The Learners in the lobby of CID...

Karen Mayes said...

Good, I found the photo of The Learner... I am gonna scan it and send you the link which you could view. You'd see a curly haired girl standing next to The Learner, with her hand resting on it... that is me. Now I have to hook up the scanner to my laptop...

Karen Mayes said...

Okay, the scanner would not cooperate with me, so I went ahead and videotaped my photo.

Click on this:

http://my.videoegg.com/video/fstTpP

Kim said...

Karen-- That is sooooooo cool! Thanks for sending the picture/video! I read he was really humble about his work. He sounds like a nice man.

Anonymous said...

"He considered himself an artist first"....Yes! Yes! Yes!
Ooooh, I like this blog.
Thanks.
Melissa
http://web.mac.com/melissajaycraig

Abbie said...

"He considered himself an artist first"....

Thats is a wonderful quote because I don't let deafness define me.

Kim said...

:-) "Deafness doesn't define me" is my motto. I'm not sure what does define me, but I believe most people are multifaceted.

Helen S. said...

I'm Helen Shepard Browning, I studied under him at Monticello College back in 1968-1972. I was Hearing Impaired, with use of hearing aids, but not deaf. Hillis Arnold was a marvelous instructor and a kind gentleman. He was indeed well liked. I was there when they dedicated his "New Heritage" sculpture for the college. It was intended as a vision of Hope and the future heritage of Monticello, which, instead, closed and transitioned to become what is today, Lewis & Clark Community college. A heart breaking time for us all!
Now the Community College is thriving and has preserved much of this lovely old Campus and has even enhanced and expanded it into a larger, attractive & serene place to attend college.