Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Are We That Different?

Lately, I've been thinking about cultures and communities. I like being American. I like that we're a country of blended cultures.
We have many, many cultural festivals.

In Seattle, one fun celebration is the Scottish Highland Games.








There's also the Chinese New Year.











Some celebrate Norwegian Independence Day.















Others celebrate their Muckleshoot roots.









But what's great about America is you don't have to be Scottish to join in the Highland games.






You don't have to be Chinese to be in the Chinese New Year parade.










You can be a Viking on Norwegian Independence Day, even if you're really a Muckleshoot;










And you're welcome to go on Muckleshoot tribal journeys, even if you're more of a Viking.







Some families have blended backgrounds. In America you can be a Chinese, Viking, Scottish, Muckleshoot. You can join in all the parades.







Celebrating our differences unites us. We celebrate each other. Because we know that



in our hearts, we're all the same. We're just people







who help each other when times are hard.





Are deaf, Deaf and hard-of-hearing really THAT different?











Peace.

11 comments:

Karen Mayes said...

Nope... we are not that any different. We just want to be different. I noticed that the cultures of countries are unique. Next is religions which are a little challenging, since religions have spewed many wars over time. As for deafness... I wonder if the feeling of being treated differently lead us to anger, which lead us to create a "culture", in order to feel accepted?

Karen Mayes said...

Even Carl S. still has the strong need to have a culture, still debating...

http://carl-schroeder.blogspot.com/2007/12/what-is-your-definition-of-deaf-culture.html

Deb Ann and Hannah said...

WOW! What a beautiful post you created!

You brought me a biggest smile! It also smoothes my soul!

I have blended backgrounds. A lot!
Make it short....Europe, all the parts of England, and two Indian tribes.

Cindy said...

Eloquently said!

Cindy

Anonymous said...

Hi
I love going to Highland or Scottish games in New England and once in Scotland. They are so much fun to watch. My niece used to be highland dance competation. My mother always do the solo sing for national anthem.My parents originally from Scotland.
We also celebrate Swedish during Christmas time called Smorgasbord on my husband's side family.

Kim said...

Hi Karen,
I have learned that a smile and noting similarities is the quickest way to acceptance, not pointing out differences. Thanks for Carl's link. I was going to comment, then changed my mind. He seems in a relfective mood since the workshop. Maybe he's still sorting things out. I don't have the passion for debating it right now. I'm clearly in a different camp, but not judging where he is. We're part of the same community. I want more unity. I don't care about "culture." I'm sorry others think my culture matters.

Kim said...

Hi Deb Ann! :) Me too! You wouldn't know it to look at me, but I am a mixture of many different European and one or maybe two tribes. For sure Wendat (Huron), but possibly Chippewa as well. The Euro part is French, English, Dutch, and Irish that we know of.

Karen Putz said...

You said it best: "Celebrating our differences is what unites us."

Have Myelin? said...

Beautiful post! I do think we're different tho. I was reading (maybe you saw it) about the gypsy feud this morning in California. Two big gypsy families (two last names, they intermarry) and they don't accept outsiders. I think most of us would say WE are different from them, wouldn't we? I know I'd never marry a family member!

Still, I loved your post.

Unknown said...

That was a very nicely written post with choice photos to go with it. I think it's correct to say that we're not all that different in deaf, Deaf and hard of hearing.

Amen sistah!

Bellezza said...

Such a beautiful, beautiful post. No, we're not different. We're all created by Him, in His image. We are Family.