Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Frustration with Work


This morning I had my usual quarterly educational work meeting, which I dreaded attending mainly because I normally miss more than half what's being discussed. If it weren't for the fact I get paid to go, and my attendance looks good on my work record, I probably would have skipped it altogether. I certainly don't get much out of it. Today I nearly fell asleep even after drinking a triple-shot non-fat Venti white-chocolate peppermint mocha on the way.


I have mentioned to my manager that I need to be accommodated for these meetings. His response, "You don't get everything you ask." To my knowledge he never followed up. I was then informed my attendance at the meetings was only "optional" because they're considered educational. The person who held my position previously lived two hours and a ferry ride away, so she rarely went to these meetings. However, **everyone** else in my position does go. There are over 100 of us. The meetings gives me a chance to network with others around the county we don't get a chance to see very often.


My usual strategy is to sit up close so I can read lips and hopefully hear as much as possible. I also try to remind all the speakers that I'm deaf/HH ahead of time, where I'll be sitting and that I need to see their faces. STILL-- some of them refuse to wear a microphone, some walk around while talking, some speak in the back of the room instead of the front, some talk behind computers. . . . There never seems to be a perfect place for me to sit to be able to read their lips.


There is always a question and answer period, and unfortunately they NEVER repeat the questions. So I must guess the questions by how they're answered. It's super challenging when the answer is simply "YES-that's right!" (Example: Someone mumbles a five-minute long situational computer problem, then tells how she solved it, and finally asks if this or that was the problem. "Yes!--that's right! Next question?") What a fun game. (Yes- I'm joking!) The question/answer period can last up to a half-hour or more.


Today we split into work groups to brainstorm for awhile--in a noisy room. Think about at least 100 people broken up into over ten groups. They had all drank several cups of coffee by this time. (It was midmorning in Seattle--Starbuck's land.) And we had all been sitting way too long. Chatting in groups in stuffy, enclosed, rooms filled to the brink with hyper over-caffeinated people is not my forte.


Sometimes during our break-- when we're trying to network with each other --one of the techs loves to play a piano. He's pretty good from what I can tell. Keep in mind I used to play, but my ears are baaaaad. I find it annoying, the extra racket, the keys that sound flat or sharp that shouldn't, the shrillness of it, the way it ricochets through my head, the sound endlessly bouncing off all the walls and the floor when I'm wearing hearing aids-- I HATE it when I'm trying to lip read.

We are given an outline and some notes to follow, plus a brief overview afterwards, so it's not as if I miss a LOT without the extra accommodations. With the notes and the visual walk throughs during the meetings, I can put it all together afterwards. It's hard, but I make due. Sometimes a week later after the meeting notes are emailed to me (yes it does take that long sometimes), I'll remember a visual software demonstration, and finally understand what was being discussed during the meeting. I try to keep current on my own by fiddling with the software all the time. In my job, hands on learning is usually best anyway.


I have been wondering how it would work even if I had CART. When we broke into groups today, would the transcriber then have had to pick up and transport all her equipment with me? Because these are often software demonstrations, there is already tons of equipment in a tight place. An interpreter would obviously be so much easier, but I'm not fluent enough in ASL yet to utilize one. In any case, this is all a fantasy because it's doubtful my employer will pay for either since these meetings are considered "optional." If I push too hard I may find my work is suddenly not up to par. This has happened to more than one co-worker in the past.


I will just say I feel frustrated and anxious after these meetings, but I did make some extra money today, and I got to see some people I work with who I don't get to see often. So it wasn't a total waste. My anxiety level has been very high lately. I don't have another meeting like this until February now. Maybe I can be sick next time. . .




15 comments:

Karen Mayes said...

Hmmm... I don't want to sound "Deaf", but why don't you talk with the human resources office about this? Check out ADA to see what kind of accessbility you could be given? CART is usually better than the interpreter?

Good luck... don't we all hate when we confront on how to approach the employers to ask for some kind of accessbility help?!

Jennifer said...

*shudder* That sounds awful!! I, too, wish I could carry a CART transcriptionist around with me...captioning is SO nice! I hate large crowds and everyone talking at once (and throwing piano in on top of all that? Unbelievable!)...I feel your pain! I'm glad it's behind you now...and I think I'd be sick for the February one too!!

Kim said...

Karen :-) Now what on earth makes you think you sound Deaf? You just sound like a friend to me. This is good advice. Like I said I'm afraid to push. I've seen others railroaded out the door. I know how expensive CART would be, and I've been told the meetings are optional when I mentioned accommodations. This is a matter of know what I **should** do versus fear of what might happen if I do it. Sometimes I think companies do use fear to intimidate disabled employees. Then there's the question of once I get the CART, will I forever be labeled as extremely disabled? Such as "she can't do that, she's toooo disabled to. . . without accommodations, which are so expensive." It's a catch-22.

Kim said...

Thanks so much Jennifer. Maybe I'll run away in February. Far, far away. . .

Anonymous said...

Try this???

http://www.cartinfo.org/remotecart.html

You would only need a lap top with internet access...and a speaker phone...

Anonymous said...

You may want to contact the National Association of the Deaf (go to www.nad.org/contactus) or your area EEOC office (see www.eeoc.gov).

Kim said...

Thank you J.J. and Anonymous. I'm bookmarking both sites Anonymous for the future. J.J.-- what you've suggested is the PERFECT solution!! Thanks so much. My system has several laptops available, plus I have my own. We also have portable phones! Additionally I have a SK with speakerphone option, so this could all be worked out without costing an arm and a leg. I appreciate both your suggestions and links! Thanks again! :-)

Have Myelin? said...

I was going to suggest a setup like jj's but there's the link and all. Glad to have the link now! :-)

kw, I had the same problems you did when I was working. I was always in meetings, etc. and even tho my employer would pay for Interpreters I hated using them. Why??? Because they were a distraction for me...they split me off from other people, and inadvertently KEEP me from networking.

I had to pick and choose when to use an Interpreter so I saved it for "special times". LOL. This option sounds great!

Karen Mayes said...

Hey, there will be a Deafhood workshop in Seattle, WA (your hometown) tomorrow... if you know about it, you plan on attending? I attended and it was interesting, but I did not agree with everything though (i.e., colonization... blame hearing people attitude.)

Anyway, check it out. It is free and open to everyone.

http://www.deafhood.us/

Karen Mayes said...

Carl S., the deaf vlogger from Hawaii, will be in your town this weekend, to attend Deafhood workshop. Would be a good opportunity for you to meet him.

Anonymous said...

Kim, I was anxious just reading what u had to go thru. It sucks. Why aren't u discussing this issue with your HR person? This is so unfair to you and to make u sit thru all of that and not gain any benefit from it. Goes to show what i've been saying all along. hearing people are clueless as to what it means to be hearing impaired or deaf. CLUELESS!
pearl

Karen Mayes said...

Hey, did you go to the Deafhood workshop yesterday? What do you think of it? No, I won't bite, since I disagree with some of things the speakers said anyway... I feel that they romanticized the deaf history, knowing that the majority of hearing people prior to 1880 Milan Conference did not go to college, so I have my own opinions.

Anyway... I am thinking... you could present a request for the purchase of CART, saying that the short term goal could be pricey and training, but the long term goal would benefit the employer because you'd be able to absorb most of the infomation and could contribute to your work group more.

Anonymous said...

I have to go to weekly, extremely frustrating faculty meetings. I'm a really good lip reader and position myself so that I can see everyone, and I'm not shy about asking for repeats when I need them. I do well when it's one speaker at a time.
But there is ALWAYS some point when they all begin talking at once. Always. CART would not help, no captioner would be able to keep up with them.

So, when it gets out of hand, I just say really loudly, "DO YOU WANT ME TO HEAR THIS?" Works pretty well, but by the following week, they're at it again...my students are NOT like this; it's only my colleagues. Lately, though, my department chair has been cutting them off even before I jump in. So apparently, I've gotten through to her.

Kim said...

No I didn't go Karen. I'm working this weekend. I left a comment for you in deadc blog. I was also miffed that we-- the late-deafened weren't informed of this workshop. When I saw the link and one of the Seattle names I was SO disappointed because he's on a deaf/HH/Deaf Listserve I belong to and he's supposed to inform us of all the Deaf events in the Seattle-metro area. I combed through the entire month of Nov. to see if he ever mentioned it. Nope. This is exactly what I was trying to get through to Michele. Is our deafhood experience not valid? I also belong to HLAA and ALDA chapters in the Seattle area and wasn't informed of this workshop by them either. How are the late-deaf supposed to find out if they belong to all the appropriate organizations and no one tells them? Anyway-- it doesn't matter. I had to work. I know someone who would have benefitted from going. And this is HUGE to me because I feel she missed out, because her deaf experience wasn't recognize as valid even though at this point in time she currently hears **nothing** and can only communicate with ASL. It breaks my heart. . .

I'll think about requesting CART. They aren't horrible people just sometimes thoughtless. Friday my mgr. made me stand on a pedestal, put a crown on my head and made a sub bow down to me. Sometimes he's really funny. hehehe!

Kim said...

MJC--Yes I know about those kinds of meetings too. We have those. Again, not weekly, only quarterly. Since we sit in a circle it's not quite as bad. Most of them do not talk over each other. A few of them do not talk loudly enough. Luckily I'm not the only one at my branch with a hearing problem. With two of us reminding people to speak up, slow down, or take your hand away from your mouth. . . we've trained them well. :-)