Sunday, December 16, 2007

Deficit Thinking = /< Surplus Disregard?

Gosh I'm kinda new. I just started reading and posting to Deafread the past couple months or so. I was shocked by John's message about "deficit thinkers." Though John himself didn't name names, a few of the commenters to his blog did-- and the names that most frequently came up were McConnell, Paotie, "and their strange friends" including Karen and Brian Mayes. Because I frequently comment on both McConnell's and Paotie's blogs, I wondered if I was included among the list of "strange friends."

This surprised me a little bit because I've fiercely butt heads with both Paotie and McConnell in the past. But I guess because I'm deaf, not Deaf, you all might as well lump me in with them -- and the Mayes.

Just to keep the record straight though, I have sided with John Egbert in the past too. I put in a plug for his book on my site as well. I often agree with him, but not this time. I like a good discussion and I think Paotie and Mike are great at generating discussion, even though some of their remarks are often inflammatory. They DO get us talking about hot issues we need to question, such as the rift between the deaf and the Deaf. It's painful to look at the truth sometimes.

The comments about the Mayes saddened me. That any of you would even consider censoring Mike or Paotie's blogs and say the things you said about the Mayes convinced me we have much work to do before the D/deaf can call themselves a "community."

If not for Deaf Edge's blog and the overwhelming positive comments there, I would have seriously considered moving on. I was beginning to wonder if deaf people were welcome here. Thanks to all of you who commented in DE's blog. You've given me hope.

Peace. . .

(Also-- I wanted to explain why I haven't been doing deaf heroes the past couple weeks. I turned my library book in. It was time. As luck would have it, the book belonged to another branch, so I sent it back and reordered it. Guess what? It's lost in the system somewhere. I may ask for it for Christmas.)

14 comments:

Karen Mayes said...

Hey, thanks,

I am more or less used to this kind of attitude from Deaf people. I am copying and posting from DP's site about people in general:

****************
...I do believe in hearing both sides… negative and positive sides of every subjects (like Taoism… negative can’t live without positive; positive can’t live without negative.)

It is disappointing to see a degree of paranoia in DeafRead, but then everyone has his/her own paranoia, brought on by his/her own fears. Which leads us to wanting to have some degree of control.

Sure, I disagree with some commenters/vloggers/bloggers. Sure I agree with others. Just like everyone else. We just have to learn to “agree to disagree”. As I have said before, also on John’s website, that there need to be respect.

Deficient/Englightened Thinkers… everyone has his/her own muses.
******************

People who are against me do not know me at all. So, it is more or less their problem, not mine.

*Chuckling*... it is funny in a way.... it is like putting an elephant with a mice and look at what happens. But sad because it still shows that the Great Divide is still there and John's blog is not helping much. Deafhood???? Include "deficient" and "enlightened" thinkers also. We need both of them.

Anonymous said...

As a deaf who is trying really hard to be Deaf I find the whole thing very starnge. I never went to Deaf schools or learned ASL through no fault of my own. You have to wonder sometimes how many deaf were turned away because they had the bad luck of meeting a deficit thinker when they made a decision to meet the Deaf community for the first time. "deaf" people live in the same audist world as Deaf peole. You would think they would want more allies.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad we, at least, gave you hope. I, for one, lost all hope with those people who constantly bashed on us. It is now tiresome.

IamMine said...

:)

Glad you're staying around!

Aaron R. said...

Don't let a few individuals deter you from your mission. Keep blogging on!

Anonymous said...

I was also impressed with Deaf Edge's article. A sane voice, for a change. You have always tried to be honest in your discussions or comments to other blogs and you also try hard to acknowledge other points of view that may not be ones you agree with. 'Course our emotions slip us up at times, and it's just better to say "sorry" and agree to disagree. :)

Deb Ann and Hannah said...

Ann C's cool, but I didn't read Deaf Edge's article.

I believe it is a good way to acknowledge other points of view and it's okay to disagree in a nice way without insulting. It's impossible to have everyone to agree on one point of view of any kind of topic.

I wish everyone to have a wonderful holiday!

Anonymous said...

I've found that "strange friends" are often the best friends. They make you think.

Kim said...

Hi Karen-- (smile) Well whatever. . .Johns' blog opened a can of worms and maybe that was a good thing. I can see how Taoist philosophy keeps perspective. It's possible he simply had a bad day and blogged without thinking it through. I'm pretty sure he's regretting his words now. Like I said the other day, when you blog or vlog-- your mistake lasts forever. ACCKKK!

Kim said...

Hi e--
You're SO not alone. Unfortunately. And yet, there are so many ***nice*** Deaf people out there too. I hope you try to learn ASL. If anything it's a great tool to use when you're deaf. I'm facing the fact I may never be fluent. If I DO become fluent, they would be wonderful-- and I HOPE I do! But if not, at the very least, I can use ASL to fill in where I can't lip read and hear.

Kim said...

Thanks Iammine and Aaron :-)!

Brenster--I think you're a pretty smart guy. Sometimes it's best just to ignore people that annoy you when they're blogging about stuff you disagree with. I admit I've had to ignore some of Mike's blogs because of his politics. I'm not a Republican. I have also gone through periods of ignoring everything Paotie posted. You have to do that with some people sometimes. I realize I am not going to change their minds so it is futile to try. I've decided I'm here to learn and do not have the passion or desire to argue with people who have their minds made up.
:-)

Kim said...

DebAnn--I think YOU are cool! You are so open minded and artistic. Somehow you're always able to stay out of the fray. I wish I could be more level-headed. I do get upset from time to time, but I try not to. Life it too short. Also I've learned that most the stuff I've argued about over the years just wasn't that important. Alot of things have a way of working out eventually. This will pass.

One problem with email and blogs is we can't touch each other. I know that sounds weird, but it's true. When you can physically touch people, it's easier to get over the hurts.

Kim said...

MJC (BIG SMILES)--Thanks! Not quite sure if you're confirming that I am strange or what, haha!, but it's true that strange friends can make you think. . .and they can be downright FUN.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate,
Thanks for stopping by! I've changed my url and blog title. I'm now at www.faceme.wordpress.com. Still writing about deaf issues and late-deafness. Hope to see you there.

Kim :-)