Friday, December 7, 2007

Emergency Meeting for Parents of Deaf in NYC



I received this urgent message below this from a friend who works in the New York City school system. I've removed her name to protect her identity in my blog, but I felt this was important to reprint here in its entirety. I don't live in NYC. I wanted to get the word out. Isn't it just like a politician to have an important meeting like this at the last minute? If it's sparsely attended, he'll say no one cared enough about the changes he planned to make, when the reality was few people knew about the meeting. It's the holidays when people are busy too. If you live in the NYC area, please plan to go this coming Monday night if you can.


THIS SHOULD NOT BE A SURPRISE, SOONER OR LATER IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN.

IF YOU CARE ABOUT DEAF, HARD OF HEARING, BLIND AND THE VISUALLY IMPAIRED STUDENTS IN BOTH PUBLIC SCHOOLS AND PRIVATE SCHOOLS.....PLEASE PASS THE WORD ALONG IN TO PARENTS AND ANY DEAF GROUPS YOU KNOW. MAYOR BLOOMBERG IS ABOUT TO MAKE SOME HEFTY CHANGES THAT WILL AFFECT THE HANDICAPPED STUDENTS OF NEW YORK CITY.



LEAGUE BUZZ ALERT!

Proposed Dismantling of HES and EVS Come to a Town Hall Meeting on MONDAY DECEMBER 10th, 2007 to have your voice heard!



The League for the Hard of Hearing has just learned that discussions are underway at the NYC Department of Education regarding dismantling Hearing Education Services (HES) and Educational Vision Services (EVS) and shifting the responsibility for meeting the educational needs of deaf, hard of hearing, blind, and visually impaired children to local school districts and school principals. These school districts and school principals do not likely have either the expertise or the funds to meet the specific educational needs of these children.

The National Federation of the Blind of NYS is partnering with the Parents of Blind Children of NY to hold an open forum in the form of a Town Hall Meeting to address recent and future changes being proposed. The meeting will be on Monday, December 10th from 6-9 PM in the Selis Manor auditorium located at 135 West 23 Street between 6 and 7 Ave. They are hoping that parents of deaf and hard of hearing children attend as well, to speak to the needs of their children.

Representatives from the Department of Education and EVS will be present to speak and answer questions regarding initiatives already underway, as well as representatives of other organizations.
For more information on hearing loss in children, click here.
League for the Hard of Hearing50 BroadwayNew York, NY 10004917-305-7700 (V)917-305-7999 (TTY)www.lhh.org


6 comments:

Deb Ann and Hannah said...

I am going to forward this one to my deaf friend who lives about an hour away from NYC and hope that she can pass it on to all people she knows.
Thank you, Kim for sharing!

Deb Ann and Hannah said...

Oh, one more thing I would like to ask you...I noticed one book you posted. It's called, "Hurt Go Happy" by Ginny Rorby. It sounds interesting and could you please tell me a little bit about it before I go to the library to look for one?
Thanks, Deb Ann

Kim said...

Thanks Deb Ann :)

Kim said...

Sure! I just started reading it, but so far I like it! I'll reprint the front flap, " Thirteen year old Joey Willis is used to being left out of conversations. Though she's been deaf since the age of six, Joey has never been allowed by her mother to learn sign language. She strains to read the lips of those around her but often fails.

Everything changes when Joey meets Dr. Charles Mansell and his baby chimpanzee, Sukari. Her new friends use sign language to communicate, and Joey secretly begins to learn to sign. Spending time with Charlie and Sukari, Joey has never been happier. She even starts making friends at school for the first time. But as Joey's world blooms with possibitilities, Charlie's and Sukari's choices begin to narrow-- until Sukari's very survival is in doubt."

It's classified as a Young Adult novel at my library. I think the writer did a lot of research about deafness. I can really relate to the way she writes about the way Joey hears and the trouble with lip-reading. I'm not very far in the book though.

Did you read the last book I had on my page? Any time you find a good book written by a deaf/Deaf author, or one that is about a deaf/Deaf character, let me know and I'll add it to my recommended reads. These have all been recommended by others. :-) I don't care what it's about, if it's poetry or non-fiction or what. . .

Deb Ann and Hannah said...

Thanks, Kim! I am going to check it out at the library. I really want to read that book.

Kim said...

Well I'm about half way through now and I have to say it's a pretty good little read. So far there's a hearing mother very much against her Deaf daughter learning ASL. The Deaf daughter is a young teen on the age of rebellion and trying to fit into public school situations, trying to get by with lip-reading, etc, but not doing so hot socially. We've got a great message of why ASL is so important for Deaf people and another statement about why animals shouldn't be used in medical experiments. This would make a great discussion book for young people. I'm going to recommend it to our YA librarian for her mother-daughter bookgroup. I'm only halfway thru, but there's a lot happening in this book, and I couldn't put it down last night.