Thursday, December 27, 2007

Robbed on Christmas Eve

We were robbed on Christmas Eve. The thing that bothers me most is my husband and I have been trying to save money, so we didn't buy each other anything for Christmas this year. We only bought gifts for other people. (sigh) It seems like whenever we try to get ahead, we end up a few steps behind. I hope the people who stole our stuff really needed it.


I can understand stealing the two brand new winter coats from my trunk. Brand new too! $300.00. I was going to take them back. I couldn't decide, then in the meantime my mother-in-law bought a new coat for our son. I would have liked to think a homeless person needed coats because it was cold. A homeless person could use a coat since it has been snowing and so cold here, but I'm having a much harder time picturing a homeless person making use of my son's snowboarding gear that was also in the trunk -- valued at over $500.00. Luckily the board itself was in the garage. Then there was the bag with a really nice pair of curtain scarves. Do desperate homeless people need sheer window curtain scarves? I had been planning to take those back to Linens N Things because I changed my mind about the color. Another $150.00 or so. Several CD's were taken. $100.00. And finally, my Sidekick. $300.00. We've cancelled the plan, of course. Our homeowners insurance covers theft, but there's a deductible.


I've been wondering what goes through someone's mind while they're stealing from people on Christmas Eve who are sitting in church. Then today, my son said the sweetest thing. "Mom--don't worry. Whoever did this is living a crappy life." And he's right.



This is just a small blip. It is inconvenient and aggravating, but I still have my home and car and job. I can afford an abundance of food on the table all year long. I still have warm clothes to wear. I have so many clothes I'm trying to get rid of them. I have way too much stuff. I am lucky with family. Unlike other people who can't stand their in-laws, I love mine, and my parents too. I am fortunate to be surrounded by so much love-- an abundance of family and friends who are like family. My son is right. Whoever robbed us is having a crappy life, otherwise he or she would have been enjoying themselves with people on Christmas Eve-- like I was. (The above is my husband and his dad being silly. He stuffed balloons in a pair of pantyhose and put them on his head. Don't ask. . .)





9 comments:

Karen Mayes said...

Oh no.

I am sorry to hear about it... Yup, your son is right. Whoever robbed you will always have this against his/her conscience unless he/she owes up to it and returns stuff to you.

Still, it is nice to hear that you count yourself blessed with home, warm clothes, etc.

Anonymous said...

I think it is terrible when people steal, but I think it's worse when they steal at Christmas.

I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Cheers
Robyn

Jennifer said...

UGH, Kim...some people :( I hate that it had to happen to you...it always happens to the nicest people, it seems :( (((HUGS)))

LaRonda said...

Being robbed is such a violation. We've had cars stolen with items inside them stolen as well. No matter how positive you try to stay or how much you try to alter your outlook, you still feel violated. Every person wants and deserves to feel safe. Yes, the world is in crappy shape and we need to practice compassion for our fellow beings who do not have the kind of money or jobs or homes or life that we do. But we also work hard for what we have and not everyone who has a little something is born with a silver spoon in their mouths. I think those who steal make this assumption. It's wrong. I'm sorry this happened to you and your family.

~ LaRonda

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that had to happen to you! But you have a very wise son, I think.

I agree with Robyn-- a horrible time of year to be doing that kind of thing.

My best wishes to you and your family, and may all your future Christmases be much happier!

Lisa C. said...

I'm sorry hear that. You have been blessed to have a very nice son like himself.
Did you have to pay for cancelation fee when you cancelled your Sidekick plan? I hope they didn't charge you.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Ohh, that's awful. We had a home invasion (burglary while the family is home) in the summer. Our front door was open because of extreme heat (above 100 degrees and we had no air conditioning) and a man walked in and stole our computer! Fortunately the police recovered it and we were all safe and unharmed. Since then we got air conditioning and have been more careful. It took awhile for me to get past feeling violated and scared. I really commend your positive thoughts about someone needing the coat. It's better to forgive and "let go" of things which can be replaced. Your son has a terrific oulook. I hope your family will move past this experience quickly and enjoy a blessed New Years.

Anonymous said...

Kim, I am so, so sorry to read this...
hugs, big ones,
Melissa

Bellezza said...

Oh, I'm so sorry about this piece of bad news. One feels especially vulnerable after such an incident. I'm glad that your insurance will help recoup the losses a little bit, even though you have to pay the deductible. And you are looking at it so wisely: the richness in your family is priceless and not to be bought anywhere. The balloon idea does look fun, but I won't ask...:)