Saturday, December 29, 2007

My Favorite Place


I'm just playin' around with my pictures. This is a collage of one of my favorite places. Long Beach, WA. We often go there. The little red and yellow kite is my delta, and the rainbow colored one is a Chinese Dragon kite. You can't see the head very well, but it has a cow jumping over the moon. We also have a stunt kite my husband likes to play with, and another purple and pink delta, as well as an assortment of portable folding children's kites and what not. The little building with the flag is a place to buy fish and fresh cranberries. Weird combination, I know. . . but well, it's on the ocean and also home to a very large cranberry bog. There is some good hiking and birding out at Ledbetter State Park, which is at the very tip of the Long Beach peninsula. You cannot see them very well, but on the far right second from the top just below where I am holding a kite is a picture of a bunch of gulls. My husband was watching for a rare type one day up at Ledbetter. We usually buy fish on the way to the beach. Clams have been a tradition. Though I don't usually eat meat, I will occasionally eat a clam, because it doesn't seem like it has a brain. I have been dreaming of the beach now that Christmas is over and the New Year is beginning. Long Beach has a kite festival every August that draws people from all over the world.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

*Giggle, giggle* Taken straight from www.takemefishing.org

"Clams have no brains or eyes but they do have a heart, kidneys, mouth, and anus."

Choices, choices.......ROFL

Linda

Bellezza said...

I've never been to Long Beach, but I do love the water. It is very soothing to me. In fact, of the four elements (air, fire, earth and water), my mother says I'm water to her. Cleansing and sparkling, but persistant I guess. Would you say you resemble one element over another? It seems like an awful lot of fun to fly a kite on the beach.

Kim said...

Linda-- Did you have to mention "anus"? I don't wanna think about it. *haha*

Bellezza--an element--Hmmm. I have never thought of that! What an interesting question. I would say maybe air. I often feel invisible, and yet I know so many people depend on me.

Yes-- I love my kites. They go up easily at the beach. It's hard to bring them down.

Deb Ann and Hannah said...

We just gave a big, beautiful kite to my oldest daughter's fiancé for his Christmas. One of my young kids told Tami and Dan that they could go to the park or beach to be together and fly the kite...and it's a romance!

LaRonda said...

Hi Kim.

I used to live in the Pacific Northwest. I've been to the kite fest in Long Beach. I've drawn my name in the same sand! Cool! We're kindred spirits!

Truly a lovely spot and your photos were really good! Thanks for sharing.

Happy New Year!

~ LaRonda

Karen Mayes said...

That brings me back memories of Kite Festival held on Ontario Beach in Rochester, NY... bright blue days, chilly winds and whipping sand against faces, as my family would hunk down on the sand to watch the amateurs and professional kiters fly, showing off their simple to fancy kites.

Fun memories...

HNY to you! :o)