Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My Response to Patti (People of the Eye)

Of all the blogging action about how DeafRead removed Cochlear Implant On-line from its aggregator, the only place constructive discussion seems to be building bridges is on Patti's blog, "People of the Eye" I felt the need to respond openly in my own blog.

Sorry I'm so late in responding, Patti.


Kim – . . .I want to ask you – when u challenge DR not to exclude Rachel do u simultaneously challenge Rachel not to exclude ASL and Deaf culture in her blog – meaning can she help introduce parents to Deaf culture and ASL herself?

It's true CI On-line is very pro-AVT. You're right, there isn't "celebration" of ASL. She and I have differing views on that.

As you already mentioned, her views supposedly weren't the reason she was kicked off of DeafRead. She was kicked out for breaking a rule that didn't clearly exist and one others have broken as well.

That said, I will point out there are Deaf vloggers and bloggers who are anti-CI, anti-AVT, and anti-oralism. I won't name names here. I am getting better and better at understanding ASL, so I know what they're' signing in their vlogs. HAHAHA! They have a right to their views, just as Rachel does.

I don't believe it's necessary that individual bloggers/vloggers support ALL facets and subgroups of the Deaf/deaf community. Yet, those who don't should expect some negative feedback. An aggregator that claims to be impartial should support all bloggers regardless of their views, unless they explicitly state otherwise.

I am curious to see if Rachel's new aggregator, Deaf Village, will be as inclusive as she and the others claim. It would be interesting if some Pro-ASL/Anti-AVT Deafies joined, just to see how the moderators will handle their posts. Will they be impartial? Will they refrain from name-calling? Will they treat all the way they wish to be treated? I expect some will and some won't. We're all human.

If DeafVillage becomes "infiltrated" by "Deafhood" bloggers, will CI bloggers complain that Deaf Village is too focused on "Deafhood?" Will the Deaf Village moderators kick Deafhood bloggers off their aggregator? Only time will tell.

In answer to your question on whether I've challenged Rachel on her AVT position in the past. Yes-- I've challenged both her and her mother. I don't believe in AVT. It's an option-- yes-- but not one I would choose.

However, my thoughts on whether parents have the right to choose are as follows--- I don't tell Catholic, Baptist, Buddhist or Jewish parents to raise their children in the Congregational church, the way I raised mine. Rachel has turned out great with AVT. Just as some Catholics may eventually convert to Methodists or even become Atheists-- there will be Deaf children raised with AVT who will embrace ASL as adults, and those who won't. We're all individuals. Parents make many decisions their young children. I believe in individual choice.

Both Patti and AnneMarie addressed economic factors affecting Deaf people. The unemployment rate and "under-employment" rate of deaf/Deaf people is one reason Hearing parents choose to implant their children. It gives them a leg up in society when they can speak. We all know deaf/Deaf people routinely get passed over for promotions other less qualified Hearing individuals receive. Few Hearing people care to support the deaf/Deaf with expensive accommodations in the workplace. Lately our American economy has been faltering, and most companies are looking for ways to cut corners. I don't expect the problem of Deaf/deaf employment to get better any time soon.

Patti said--
i think we r just in our infancy of understanding ourselves so having safe places to bump around ideas and thoughts r really important

This makes perfect sense. Still, I felt DeafRead adequately answered that "safety" issue when they created the Custom option. It seems only those who go looking for a "fight" get one. Even though Cochlear Implant On-line is off DeafRead, she's still posting her same thoughts on AVT. She has every right to visit any of your blogs, and use what you say in her own blog. The blogosphere is not private. We all must pick and choose what we read and respond to.

Patti-- you mentioned the point I brought up about Deaf vloggers not captioning their vlogs. I understand this, truly, and blogged about it myself a few weeks ago. One of my recent ASL assignments has been to translate a children's book "Peter Rabbit" into ASL. It's extremely difficult. Many of you in here have a pretty good grasp on the English language-- a much better grasp on English than I have on ASL. I feel those people could easily give a synopsis of their vlogs like LaRonda usually does-- if they don't want to caption over their ASL.

Once again I'd like to point out if you want accommodations, you should be willing to accommodate others. (I'm not using the "you" personally here Pattie, since you blog.) The argument that there isn't a fair balance of captioned blogs vs non-captioned has no place here. I am also affected by non-captioned video blogs on Youtube and non-captioned movies, and television programming. HLAA (full of hard-of-hearing people who don't sign) has worked tirelessly alongside the NAD to help change captioning laws.

Thanks for the great discussion Patti, and all those who posted civil thoughtful comments. I appreciate the level-headed way you and many other Deaf bloggers have responded. We may not agree on all points, but I like that we can disagree without animosity.

Smiles,
Kim

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi kim

thanks for this blog

re: CI online - i think the complaint many folks have against it is not that it is pro-AVT but rather it often has very audist statements in it - against ASL and against non-speaking Deaf people

re: its a hearing world and the ability to speak is an advantage in the work world - true biz but is that a call to try to get every Deaf child to speak or a call to get society to be a bit more open minded?

its a man's world and many women were taught u have to act and dress like a man to make it in the work world - i doing so we have lost alot of amazing opportunities to LEARN from women's ways of doing things - circle / collaborative model vs. top down model etc

its a white world also - does that mean that African-Americans, Latinos, or Asians or Native Americans should try to alter themselves physically, spiritually, emotionally, culturally to fit in and thus "succeed" better?

i have no problem with PARENTS (not the medical profession or a school program / service) deciding they want speech/listening to be a vital part of their kids lives - it is their right and their choice

i do have a problem with PROGRAMS and INDIVIDUALS that promote an ORAL/AURAL ONLY (PURE / EXCLUSIVE) approach

i would have a problem if any program said ASL only - do not let them learn any speech and cover their eyes when they encounter anyone who talks (AVT promotes the covering of lips so that listening is emphasized over the natural and intuitive sense to lipread)

I know of NO program or services that says ASL ONLY - CI not allowed, speech and lip reading not allowed, English acquisition not allowed....

again - what is the harm in bilingualism / biculturalism?

re: captioning or translating ASL vlogs

will u challenge urself to vlog in ASL what u text in English - if ur expectation and hope is that spoken and signed videos be accessible via English (text below or on the frame) then too in the spirit of true bilingualism - will u not go the extra mile and provide ASL vlogs for ur text English blogs?

this is not an accessibility issue - this is a cultural linguistic issue

ie if a video is in French - im not expecting English cpaitons although it would be nice and great

spoken English videos - having English captions is about access for non-hearing folks

ASL videos r the equivalent of French videos - videos in ANOTHER language - captioning them involves also translating them

so if we r gonna demand / expect that ASL vlogs have English translations somewhere in our blogs then we should expect the same back that English blogs have an ASL version available

this is the ideal utopia we can seek together

to do our part as best we can

the irony is that i have asserted all this respect for ASL by using text english

ugh

smile

thanks for the dialogue and be well

peace

patti

Valerie said...

Kim – . . .I want to ask you – when u challenge DR not to exclude Rachel do u simultaneously challenge Rachel not to exclude ASL and Deaf culture in her blog – meaning can she help introduce parents to Deaf culture and ASL herself?

I want to answer that questions - I agree that with this statement. I think Rachel is showing that she accepts Deaf Culture and ASL with the new site. It contains all or at least it should. Even if Rachel herself does not learn ASL, working with all areas of deaf culture shows she accepts the individual person.

Kim - I have a question for you, where are we in all of this. We are stuck in the middle of the road. Which direction do we go to? Where do our blogs fit in the whole situation?

:) Valerie

MKChaikof said...

Kim,

This comment is not just in response to your blog but in response to many of the blogs and comments. I don't have the time to address all of them all the time, but I wanted to respond here after reading your blog.

Deaf Village aims to be inclusive but respectful. Inclusive, though, implies including blogs from all the various viewpoints. That doesn't mean that Cochlear Implant Online should or will start espousing the use of ASL in young children any more than Rachel would expect a blogger who is part of the deaf culture to start embracing AVT without ASL.

There seems to be no way around supporting AVT, which, by definition, does not include ASL and does include mainstreaming from the start, without being called "audist" by many. I've said it many times, but I'll say it again - I absolutely respect the rights of parents to choose the approach that best suits their family as long as they have accurate information about all the approaches so that they can make an educated decision. What I do object to is the constant barrage of statements that AVT must change to include ASL. I have no problem with others disagreeing with the approach. That is an individual prerogative. However, AVT absolutely needs to be recognized as a legitimate and very often successful approach as it exists, that is, without ASL. I have been involved with AVT for 20 years, and I have met countless children who are thriving with the approach just as my girls have, but I've only met a handful who weren't thriving, and they were identified very early and helped to find another program.

Since the advent of the CI, more and more children are able to thrive with AVT. So, I think that asking Rachel and me and the others who believe in AVT to support the use of ASL in early childhood is wrong. You may certainly blog about the positives you see about ASL, but acceptance and respect go both ways.

The fact is that there is no way to say that one approach will work best for all children. Parents and the professionals they are involved with need to continually evaluate a child's progress in acquiring language regardless of approach and need to be open to trying something else if it is not working.

Kim said...

Hi Patti-
I agree with you in so many ways. In an ideal world, Deaf people would be able to work anywhere, and most companies would accommodate them with whatever they needed to do the work. In the real world, Latinos are expected to learn English if they want good jobs in America. Blacks often straighten their hair to "fit in." Jews work through their holidays, and women wear pant suits. It may not be right but that's how things are.

As far as me vlogging, maybe in awhile. . . What I understand is way better than my expression in ASL. As I previously mentioned, many vloggers who don't transcribe actually write English fairly well. I would name names, but I don't think it's necessary. Most Deaf know English way better than I know ASL.

Smiles and Peace,
Kim

Kim said...

Hi Valerie,
I liked your response to Patti. I agree that starting a new aggregator should be seen as productive problem solving on Rachel's part.

I'm fine with being middle-of-the-road. There are way more of us than those on the extreme end of either side.

Kim said...

Melissa,
I fully understand what CI Online and Deaf Village are all about. I am not asking you or Rachel to support ASL. Was that part of your comment directed at Patti? It confused me.

I agree with freedom of choice for all parents to raise their own children as they see fit. I believe many intelligent parents may look at all the information out there about AVT or TC, and still come to different conclusions than you have. That doesn't make anyone right or wrong, it just means people think differently. I am aware Rachel has turned out great.

We will never agree on AVT because I value ASL too much. I am not one to tell others how to parent their kids, but if anyone ever asks what I think about AVT vs TC for children with cochlear implants, I'd recommend TC. You needn't worry though, because I doubt anyone will ever ask me that question. My kids are grown and they all hear just fine.

Smiles,
Kim

Anonymous said...

What the issue has proved, is all roads do not lead to deafhood. Paddy Ladd obviously wrote this 'guide' from some deaf Ivory Tower stance, now he has been brought down to earth with a bump, as his acolytes rip the community apart in the search for his impossible dream, now rapidly approaching a nightmare.

LaRonda said...

Hi Kim.

Thanks for mentioning my v/blogs. I would like to become more skilled in captioning and i have captioned a few of my vlogs over the last year and a half. However, I cannot seem to get the quality I want when I use the captioning program I have (Windows Movie Maker). The QuickTime software I use to compress my videos to make them sharp won't accept the WMV format that comes when I caption. Thus, I have always provided a transcript. This seems to be received well on both sides (ASL users and non ASL or not yet fluent ASL users). I do like the idea of captions and desire to explore programs more. It's just a matter of time. Captioning is time consuming, but like you, I like having that option. I will continue to work on this.

Thanks again for your kind words.

~ LaRonda

Kim said...

LaRonda,
To be honest I prefer the transcript. Because I've been learning ASL, it's nice to be able to pick out the words I know here and there. If I don't know the subject matter and then there's a flurry of new signs, I can get lost quiet easily. But knowing basically what was said helps so much, and it's exciting to identify the words I know. With captioning, the words interfere with my learning.

Kim :-)

Abbie said...

Well said!