Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Exclusion Confusion

Many late-deafened people feel isolated when their hearing loss is first diagnosed. I mentioned before that I never knew one single person who wore hearing aids when I first got mine in my early twenties. Most of my friends at the time were finishing up grad school, getting married or having babies. Usually I was the only one they had ever encountered with a hearing loss, other than possibly an elderly grandparent. Conversations revolved around the usual subjects young people that age discuss--pop culture, school, boyfriends, babies, breastfeeding, husbands, sex and childbirth. When I turned the discussion to my hearing aids, I'd be met with blank stares as they tried to process what I was going through. I learned quickly enough most people my age couldn't handle it.

The isolation was overwhelming at times. When you develop a disability at a young age, it changes you. My eyes were opened to a truth few were willing to accept-- that life is unpredictable and unfair. Disability can settle on anyone at any time for no particular reason, and there's often no cure. Depressing? It can be, but you learn to adapt and take pride in your ability to adapt, because adapting becomes your life.

I can't imagine growing up deaf or being the only six-year-old who wears hearing aids in a mainstreamed classroom of giggly first-graders, though those I've met have who grew up HH are remarkably well adjusted. Sometimes I think part of the problem for adults who lose their hearing is an identity crisis. At one time I was a different person, then my world turned upside down. My life seemed to be on hold, because not only had I developed a hearing loss, but my hearing was unstable. I've continued to lose more and more hearing all these years.

With the knowledge that my hearing could take a nosedive at any moment, it's been hard to carve out a path. I've learned to live in the present. This is where I am today. I don't know where I'll be tomorrow. I crave the stability of structure and a backup plan more than most. The unknown is scary. I'm dependant once again on something (someone) I can't count on, only this time that someone is ME. Luckily I married the Rock of Gibraltar whose unwavering devotion, routines and support is as predictable and solid as they come. He doesn't drink.

This is a great blog about camps for young HH, deaf children set up so they won't feel so isolated. http://aslci.blogspot.com/2008/06/calling-solitaires-for-research.html In a few weeks I'm going to "adult camp"-- two of them back-to-back. I couldn't be more excited. You see, late-deafened adults need to connect with each other too-- just like kids. Adult camp usually takes place in big cities. There will be interpreted workshops with CART, trips to restaurants in large groups of people who can't hear, tours for the deaf, and lots of hanging out in bars.

Conventions with HH, deaf people are the highlight of my summer. Normally, I'm paralyzed by group socializing with hearing people because of all the lips needing to be read, but not with this crowd. We write, sign and repeat as often as needed until **everyone** gets it. No judging. We all know deafness does not equal stupidity.

This year I'm going to the International Federation of Hard-of-Hearing people up in Vancouver, BC, Canada. Then I'm going to Philadephia for the Say What Club convention. There, I'm going to meet with a few DeafRead bloggers, and old friends I don't get to see all the time, and we're going to have a blast!! ALDA and HLAA also have adult "camp" (conventions) for people with hearing loss. I believe the HLAA con is coming up soon, but I couldn't swing it in addition to the two others. IFHOH was a priority since Vancouver is so close, and it rarely gets held on this continent. Also I get free room and board with an HH Canadian friend.

Because of my experience of growing up hearing, then becoming deaf, I value inclusion above all else. I've felt EXcluded too many times among the hearing that I find the exclusionary practices of DeafRead offensive. I haven't blogged about this before, but when DeafRead failed to provide CART for their convention in SF after I requested it last spring, I realized I don't really belong here, though I've stayed to learn more about Deaf culture. Also, I had hoped with the influx of CI blogs, they would become more inclusive over time.

There was really no GOOD excuse not to accommodate me. I requested the accommodations more than two months in advance of the convention. The thing is, the Say What Club is equally as small as DeafRead, and they're committed to providing interpreters as well as CART for their conventions, so ALL attending will be able to understand. I realize interpreters are expensive. We ALL know that. The point is if we want to be included, then we should all be models of inclusion.

Now DeafRead has booted off Cochlear Implant On-line under a trumped up charge that she's in cahoots with Cochlear. This is so ridiculous I'm speechless. A person can not be an "employed volunteer." She makes no money off Cochlear. While I realize many of you don't like Rachel's blog, wasn't it enough to exclude her from your "custom" feeds?

Further, I've since found out DeafRead has disallowed a cueing blog from joining.

DeafRead has become an uncomfortable and unwelcoming deaf community for those of us who use our voices.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim,
I use my voice everyday and around Deaf people and I founded DBC.

And you say that DeafRead has become an uncomfortable and unwelcoming deaf community for those of us who use our voices, that is not true.

The Deaf community accepted me, DeafRead accepted me. I was in the hearing world until I went to Gallaudet and learned sign language there. And for 40 years after I learned sign language, I still use my voice.

Kim, it is all about ATTITUDE.

John Egbert

A Deaf Pundit said...

I've been on DeafRead long enough to know that they would not boot Rachel off without ironclad evidence. Rachel's parents as any reader would know, are extremely wealthy, and they could potentially sue for libel and win if the blog was booted for spurious reasons. I do not believe Tayler would put himself in the position of losing a libel lawsuit, over deaf identity politics.

And to be honest, I think if people look at this objectively, Rachel's blog has been extremely suspicious for a long time. It's not about deaf identity politics. It's about transparency and ethical blogging.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I remember reading that some people were concerned that AGBell was using Rachel as a front to get through Deafread. As I read her blogs, I became very uncomfortable because she has this anti-ASL attitude and believes that the oralism is the way to go. This is very dangerous slope when new parents of deaf babies find her blog and think that all deaf children can learn to speak and function well. There are many of us who have been damaged in the oralism and I applaud Tayler and Deafread in putting a stop to this. AGBell has not made any efforts to work with us and to come to the middle using ASL and AVT yet. Remember last summer AGBell was very hostile to many deaf people at their convention. We are still feeling oppressed and sometimes we need to push our way through and not accept people who want to continue to oppress us by being superior in speech and hearing.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Kim!

I'm with you all the way.

There is no d'hood.

Hugs,

One of your Pinky gang, White Ghost

Kim said...

John-- I agree. The "attitude" of inclusion is extremely important. I would like to see the DeafRead editors to be more inclusive toward all deaf people.

Pundit-- She doesn't make any money from her blog, nor does she push Cochlear over the other CI companies. Taylor did indeed make a bad judgement call, AND this very well could come to a bad ending for DeafRead. He's walking on thin ice. Not to mention the fact that he's enforcing the "rule" willy-nilly, since we all know OTHER DeafRead bloggers actually DO have connections to companies and make money pushing their agendas.

Anonymous-- I don't agree with Rachel or her mother's stand on AVT. However, they do have a right to their opinions, just as you have a right to yours.

Shutting her out of DeafRead will not advance the ASL cause. I don't even think it will hurt Rachel's' blog that much, since most of you have deleted her out of your Custom list anyway.

Unfortunately I do feel DeafRead's decision to kick her off could ultimately impact DeafRead negatively.

Kim said...

Thanks WG! I can always count on you.

elizabeth said...

Kim,

Thank you for your post and your support. I really learn a lot from blogs like yours that describe the late-deafened experience.

-- Elizabeth, of www.cochlearimplantonline.com (and proud of it!)

Valerie said...

Kim,

Way to Go!!!

The good thing is our daily life is more about who we allow into our lives. So much of this junk we can keep out.

Rachel is a deaf individual who deserves the same respect as we want ourselves.

Valerie

Abbie said...

I can't wait for the SayWhat convention Kim! I'm looking forward to meeting so many of you!!!!

Rachel deserves to be heard on just how much work is involved to contribute to the success of a child with a cochlear implant. I am appalled at his decision!

Anonymous said...

I am all for inclusion!!!! I grew up with the dorky hearing box, I grew up with a family that totally supported me for who I was, a member of the family first and hoh second...but the deaf community didn't... because I was not "deaf enough", Because I learned ASL late and still pepper it with home sign, Because I teach full communication! It seems we were getting over the exclusion... I thought we were over that! Come on DeafREAD! This is a big community!

With all that said, if she was doing something seedy, she should be booted!

Thank!

Kim said...

Abbie,
I'm excited to meet you too!! There's a market with ice cream and ethnic foods nearby that I'd love to visit. I hear Philly has great ice cream!! I might break my diet for once.

Rachel WILL be heard, whether she's in DeafRead or not. This move by the DeafRead editors only shows their ignorance. DeafRead will not win over hearing parents.

They should have realized Rachel's blog drew hearing parents into DeafRead. From there hearing parents could look at the ASL-CI community blog, and other Deaf blogs like DBC and so on with differing views. . .That way they gained ALL perspectives.

Now when they find Rachel's blog through technorati or delicious, that's ALL they'll read-- AVT, AVT, AVT.

It's really a shame because this is exactly what the Deaf community does NOT want.

Kim said...

Isabella-- she wasn't doing anything "seedy" She doesn't take money from the Cochlear company, and she doesn't get any kickbacks. She doesn't promote Cochlear over other CI companies. I know of other "volunteers" within the CI communnity and how it works.

It's quite common for people considering a CI to want to talk to an implant wearer. The volunteer's function is to inform others about their before and after experiences with a CI. Most are more than happy to do so because receiving a CI is a HUGE life-changing event.

I could understand the problem if Rachel was being financially rewarded, but in truth the reason CI companies do NOT pay their volunteers is so they will NOT be accused of taking money to say positive things about wearing their CI's.

Whatever Rachel says is her personal opinion. She's not being paid to run her blog or say anything.

Taylor over-reacted and made a premature decision without gathering facts.

Kim said...

Valerie-- You're so right. Long ago, I realized that those who are uncomfortable with my inability to hear are not worth getting to know. My friends are some of the finest people you'll ever meet. That is one of the great benefits of hearing loss.

Ann_C said...

Kim,

An eloquent article from the view of the late-deafened who get marginalized by both the hearing and the Deaf.

Although I did not have the same experience of deafness as you, we both experience exclusion in the hearing world on a daily basis.

It is very telling what DeafRead editors want to do to Rachel. They're singling out her blog to use as a warning to other CI, HH, cued, and other oral blogs, that they better toe the line or else. A shining example of inclusivity? NOT!

Abbie said...

I am still patiently waiting for my post on this whole thing to approved...

Tapping toes...

Jennifer said...

Kim, thanks for your take on this. I am really irritable over the whole thing...what it boils down to is that they DON'T WANT US ON DEAFREAD and they're looking for loopholes. I am not one to pick a fight...that's not my style...but I just don't think that Rachel's "violation of the rules" is what this is all about.
I'm going to "camp" next week...and can't wait! I wish I had the money to do ALL the conventions...SayWhat sounds like a LOT of fun! Maybe I'll be able to make that one next year!

Kim said...

Ann_C--I've discussed this with others like you who grew up HH/deaf in an oral environment. We ALL experience exclusion. We ALL battle for accommodations on a daily basis. That commonality should be enough to hold us together as a community. I don't think believe a perfect time in life to lose your hearing. I never experienced isolation in childhood like so many others did, and for that I'm grateful. On the other hand, I've observed a strength and better sense of deaf identity in those who grew up HH that I envy. It took me years to come to grips with my hearing loss.

Anonymous said...

You who are against RAchel prove us that there is no DEAFHOOD. Deaf against Deaf against Deaf against Deaf. That's not Deafhood!

Hmpppphhh

Kim said...

Jennifer-- I would so love to meet you!!! I do hope you manage an SWC Con sometime. There's nothing like adult "camp" in a fancy downtown convention hotel. hahaha!

What Tayler did seems like a slap in the face to all of us. Even though I don't wear a CI. I have so many friends who do. I'm rooming with Robyn (the ambling rambler) at the SWC Con!

I'm torn between dropping out of DeafRead or staying just to spite them. I've never been one to squabble much either, but I had to take a stand on this one.

mervynjames224 said...

It seems a refusal to accept the diversity of the deaf community on the face of it. Blatant commercial plugs are NOT acceptable, however, support and praise/acceptance of CI's IS perfectly valid.

If there is a stance of ASL/BSL purity going on, then it will fail, online history suggests such stand-alone sites have always failed to pull in the punters... Deaf.read is a good melting pot of views and ideals, and importantly a place to discuss issues of importance to us all.

To lose all that, could prove fatal to deaf.read, the diverse views are what keeps it going... the ASL community HAS to get to grips with diversity (As do all such sectors in the world), it's here,now deal with it, or get left behind..

Anonymous said...

I've posted my blog about Rachel too - will be interesting where they put it - in extras, or in blogs. I'm a CAN volunteer myself and my blog addresses this.

And yeah - I'm rooming wtih kim at thhe convenion and I'm so excited!!!

Bounce Bounce!

MKChaikof said...

Deaf Pundit - spreading rumors:

"Rachel's parents as any reader would know, are extremely wealthy."

I just love unproven and unfounded rumors. I'm curious as to how you've leaped to this conclusion? Over the years, my husband and I have made our priority our children's education and wellbeing. As a result, we've given up much that we might have wanted for ourselves. It would be nice to be "extremely wealthy" because, if we were, we'd be donating a great deal of money to nonprofit organizations that help deaf children grow up happy and hearing and speaking.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm going to the Congress in Vancouver too!

Have you been to a congress like this before? It will be my first time to experience this kind of setting.

Kim said...

Hi Jon,
I never have and I'm really excited. I went up there a month ago to check out the hotel. Oh my gosh, it's beautiful! Are you familiar with Vancouver at all? It's a lovely city.

Kim :-)

Anonymous said...

Even if an implantee, or hearing aid wearer, or a lip-reader or an oralist DOES plug the benefits of what they have, so what ? Just don't read it, or, use deaf.read's opt out button....

Sign users have done this from day one, as for 'disrespect', I don't think ANYONE reading deaf.read or any OTHER site connected with deaf people, would find the sign user blameless, butter would not melt in their mouth ? yeah... right ! takes two to tango.

Anonymous said...

To Deaf Pundit

How in the world do you know that Rachel's parents are extremely wealthy? Com'on! Tell us how how how you know?

What a dangerous rumor you're spreading!

You've already lost credibility though!