Sunday, June 15, 2008

Comparing On-Line ASL Resources


I don't believe American Sign Language (or any language) is best learned on-line, but it's a fact of life that many of us who are late-deafened are extremely busy. Sometimes we cannot find any ASL classes nearby, and often when we do, class schedules conflict with work hours.


In the past few years I have discovered a few on-line ASL resources for those who don't have the time or money to take a college class. Not only are most of these on-line resources convenient, they are also relatively cheap. One drawback of ASL books and dictionaries is how to convey three dimensional movements in two-dimensional drawings or photographs. Interpreting the proper movement can be challenging. On-line videos offer visibility of the entire hand-arm action and facial expressions used during while signing.


My favorite is http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/fingerspell.cgi This site shows the complete movement of each sign in its video dictionary including facial expressions. Within the dictionary is a section on conversational phrases, which I think is a really COOL feature! It also offers fingerspelling quizzes where one can choose speeds of slow, medium or fast. Additionally there are word quizzes, and a special section devoted to religious words.


The two main drawbacks of this site are that there's no curriculum to follow. It's a great study tool to compliment course work, but doesn't offer a curriculum of its own. Secondly a few of the signs are different from signs in the course books I've been using. They may also be different from regional signs one uses in their particular area. Thirdly the fingerspelling quiz isn't the best one, because it only has three speeds and you can't adjust the length of your words. However, I personally like this site the best.


Dr. Bill Vicars fingerspelling quiz is way better than ASL Pros. http://asl.ms/ It has slow, medium, fast and "deaf" speed. haha! which is like "light speed." Because you can choose the word size, there's more flexibility in adjusting for improvement. This fingerspelling quiz is connected to ASL University at http://www.lifeprint.com/ Lifeprint offers three courses in ASL, including grammar and cultural information about the Deaf. The course is completely free, unless you want to take it for college credit-- which you CAN do from home! The site is full of info, but one drawback is it's dictionary isn't in video. Dr. Vicars demonstrates the signs in a series of pictures that can be hard to follow. Also he doesn't show much facial expression. Still, if used in conjunction with aslpro.com, you could learn quite a bit of ASL on your own.


Here's another video dictionary-- the ASL Browser http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm from Michigan State University. I don't like this dictionary as well as the first one I mentioned in ASL Pro because her facial expressions aren't right, but if you just want to get an idea how to move your hands, it's OK. This site also offers a CD-Rom on ASL instruction for $19.95, or you can go to two other sites. One offers on-line courses with four month access per course, for $49.95 each. The other link leads you to an ASL book for less than $20.00.


This site http://www.lessontutor.com/ASLgenhome.html offers both ASL and Signed English (SE) for free. The pictures are primitive and hard to follow, but if used with one of the video dictionaries above, it might be OK. One problem I can see is a new learner could become confused between ASL and SE, which are grammatically different.


I love the way this site http://www.handspeak.com/byte/index.php presents cultural information. It also offers a free curriculum. However, there's no fingerspelling quiz feature, and its video dictionary is slow, spasmodic and of poor quality compared to the others. Still, if you're looking for cultural info, I think this site offers way more insight than any of the above.


Again, I don't think this is the best way to learn ASL. Just as you wouldn't become fluent in French listening to French tapes, you can't become fluent in ASL by watching videos. Like any language it takes tons of practice and use with native speakers. But if you want to start with a few basics, then these sites would be a great place to begin.







12 comments:

David said...

I loved this! Thank you for this information. I am still studying, with DVD and books to learn ASL.

Anonymous said...

it is nice information. However, there is other site, aslvideopedia.com. It allows users to submit their sign to the site. It's free as well. Once the site has receive more signs then it can be developed into a curriculum. The website is in need a help from signer all over nation.

Anonymous said...

Kim, thanks so much for posting these sites! I'm on lesson 3 at the lifeprint site right now and I've been doing what you mentioned -- going over to ASLpro to see certain signs "in action".

It's a slow process, and I have to review with my hubby because he does some signs differently (i.e., sister and brother). But it works for me -- there just aren't any affordable classes around here.

I think it's harder to learn to "read" sign language (i.e., understand the signs as they are signed to you) so I'm trying to practice by watching captioned ASL vlogs. It's exciting to realize that I'm catching some of the signs now, but I have a loooong way to go.

I'm going to check out the resources you mentioned that aren't familiar to me -- again, thank you SO much for posting this! :-)

~ Wendi

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing and listing these useful sites. I am learning ASL. Though am hearing girl, I am interested in ASL. I met a handsome guy on a deaf dating site mydeafmatch.com recently. He is a very humourous. I like him very much. Now we can only communicate by text and some very simple ASL. He is deaf. Therefore, I am trying my best to learn ASL. Hope I can master ASL ASAP.

Anonymous said...

Wow.. I'm thrilled to know there are more ASL sites out there as good as aslpro - thanks for the post! I will link this to anyone when they ask for ASL site(s). I only knew aslpro before this.

Thanks, Kim!

Hugs
-SG

Kim said...

David--Good luck with the learning!

Anonymous 1 -- Thanks so much for telling me about aslvideopedia.com! I love the the way they identify hand shapes and classifiers for the signs. Very clear! I wish there were MORE signs. Good luck with developing.

Kim said...

Wendiwendy-
I know just what you mean. If the signer goes slowly and uses lots of exaggerated expression I can understand much better than when their hands fly at lightspeed. The trouble with vlogs is when you misunderstand something, then you can't ask for clarification. You're lucky your husband and extended family knows sign. I'm on my own here.

Kim said...

Anonymous 2-- Good luck with your Deaf date! If he knows you're hearing and don't know ASL, he'll probably be patient with you. The majority of Deaf people I've met have been kind, witty and interesting. They have a unique perspective on life that I treasure.

SG-- I'm glad you enjoyed my blog. When you take ASL you get to learn about all the stuff out there, because every teacher seems to have his/her favorite ASL website links. I'm sure there are tons more.

I just thought of something. I wonder if DBC has posted any ASL links?

Do they offer on-line ASL suppport? It would also be cool if they showed videos of babies and parents signing.

VBnBama said...

Thank you for the sites, I already tried the first and got 4 out of 5 right. I missed "exclusive" but that was so many letters, I'm not that fast.

Abbie said...

I love ASL pro!!! My biggest perk of this article in curriculation was having a sign language teacher send me a packet of sign language materials to learn. I am planning on dedicating a post to her soon. I thought that was so nice of her to do that.

I'm gonna check out the others :)

Anonymous said...

There are lots of dictionary and other resource links on www.TerpTopics.com (click on the little swirly icon next to the word "Links" at the top of the home page).

TerpTopics, LLC said...

Hello!

We love this blog. There is so much useful and reliable information available to visitors. And the sense of community is really nice. :)

TerpTopics has recently redesigned its site and is currently under serious growth (leaps and bounds!). We think your readership might especially enjoy browing the ASK A TERP pages, as well as the GOODIES! and BOOKS lists.

Of course, the ever-popular Links page is still there with even MORE links than ever before.

We hope your community will visit ... and, by the way, constructive feedback is always warmly received.

Best wishes!