Wednesday, September 5, 2007

My first meme




This is my first meme, so please forgive if I have not followed meme protocol. It came from




1. If you could have super powers what would they be and what would you do with them? (Please feel free to be selfish, you do not have to save the world!)






Well I suppose since my hearing is so bad, I would LOVE to have xray eyes. HA! I fooled you didn't I? You thought I was going to say better hearing. Who would want super-duper hearing? You'd never get any rest at night. I have always wanted the ability to become invisible. This, of course, I would only use to spy on my children--especially my eighteen year old son who I know speeds around in his car a little too much. Flying would be nice. I'm afraid of heights. I would never have to worry about that again. OK-- after thinking about it some--I have never known of a super hero with this power- but I would like to have super hearing, and be able to turn it off at night. My final power? I would like the ability to change rocks into gold. And I really WOULD give a lot of it away!!







2. Were you to find yourself stranded on an island with a CD player...it could happen...what would your top 10 bloggers island discs be?




This is a tough one. I do not hear so well and rarely listen to CD's anymore, but I can still hear some music, though it's mostly hit and miss.






I like--
B B King
Ray Charles
Belly Dancing Djembe Music CD from my dance class-- do not know the name of it, but I might as well have something to dance to, and the djembes are cool!
Lonesome Dove Soundtrack-- the French Horn on this is haunting, and I can HEAR it!
Perfect Storm Soundtrack--Great book!




Now I'll list some music I used to listen to that I would like to hear again perfectly, that I still try to listen to sometimes-- that I could listen to with super-power hearing :) . . . Got that?



Brandenburg Concertos-- My favorite of all time piece of music-- I will hear it again in heaven
Appalachian Spring-Rodeo-Billy The Kid-Fanfare for the Common Man~Aaron Copeland
Anything by Mozart
Handel's Music for the Royal Fireworks
Beatles--Hey? How did they get on this list??


3. If you were a smell what would it be?






The first day of fall.





What bird would you most like to be?






Sandpiper. Aren't they cute? And they have lots and lots of friends and they spend their entire lives on the beach!





5. If you were a bird who's head would you poo on?






I don't think Sandpipers poo on heads.





6. Are there any foods that your body craves?






Coffee-- but that's a beverage I guess. So I'll say nuts. I LOVE them. All kinds.






7. What's your favourite time of year?






I love early Fall best. I think I like all the seasonal transitions best--early Fall, early Winter, early Spring, early Summer-- but early Fall is the very best time of all.





8. What's your favourite time of day?






Night-- I have always been a night owl.





9. If a rest is as good as a change which would you choose?






I believe in moderation. Change keeps the mind sharp, but too much can be exhausting. Right now I feel ready for a change-- which is a good thing-- because I'm entering a new phase in my life-- the empty nest phase. OR. . . I SHOULD be emptying the nest-- but I'm not really-- because my 25-year-old son moved back home. But someday, I'll have an empty nest. . .right?. . .RIGHT??





10. If you could have a dinner party and invite any 5 people from the past or present who would they be? (Living or deceased.)






This is a tough one because of my hearing loss. I would like to have Juliett Gordon Low because I've always admired her as a late-deafened woman who got things done. Also-- she sounds like a kick in the pants-- a real livewire to have around; Bill Cosby-- he's funny and wise; The Dalai Lama--my hero; James Van Praagh-- might be interesting to see what spiritual guests, if any, he would attract during dinner; and my husband-- because he's my best friend and I absolutely would want to discuss this special night with him afterwards!





If you are reading this and have not already participated, consider yourself tagged! I look forward to reading your responses.

6 comments:

Literary Feline said...

I considered listing invisiblity as a superpower. :-) I definitely think that if you could have the power of superhearing you should also be able to switch it on and off at will. It would be a must!

Very good music choices! I was just thinking, I'm not one for loud music persay, but I do love feeling the pulse of music around me in certain situations--the rhythym, the vibrations, etc.

There's so much about fall to love, isn't there? I seem to prefer the transitional times as well. I wonder why that is. Do you think it goes along with our desire for an occasional change?

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who want her husband around! Haha I really do like having him around and your listed reason is a great one. :-)

Richard W. Symonds said...

Kim

Greetings from England.

I will respond to this 'meme' later...but just to day thanks for saying hello on my Richard W. Symonds Blog.

Bit busy here at the moment...

Kim said...

Hello Bookish Kitty! I wasn't going to list super hearing at all until the music question, then I realized how much I would like to hear again.

I used to grieve the loss of music until I realized I would never lose rhythm.

As to fall-- I lived in Michigan until I was nine. The Oaks there turned brilliant colors, and hickory nuts fell everywhere. I lived near a pumpkin patch. The farmer also had a chestnut tree I used to climb-- probably knocking half his nuts out of the tree in the process. hahaha. Dad drove us out to ancient cider mills for freshy pressed hot cider and cinnamon doughnuts. Happy memories!!

And yes! I think the preference for seasonal transitions COULD be a desire for change. I'm a restless person by nature I think--not that I need movement-- but I need sensory stimulation. After awhile too much of anything gets boring.

Meme's are fun. It's a nice way of finding out what you have in common with other blogging friends.

Abbie said...

It doesn't feel as bad as it looks. It feels kind of good that I can bring a grown man down to his knees by flashes my scar LOL!!! Makes me feel like towanda the amazon woman. In all seriousness, it does not hurt, it is numb. Right now I can see it ITCHES!!! You must keep me abreast of your evaluation. So I can get all excited for you and do jumping jacks and the like. :)

Kim said...

Thanks Abbie I will. What I'm most interested in is the Med-el Duet. It's both a hearing aid and a cochlear implant and supposed to be the perfect solution for people like me with a steep ski-slope loss-- good low-tones and bad high-tones. It's experimental, but they're researching it right here in Seattle! I will definitely let you know when I find out more. I'm not absolutely positive this is what I'm going to do--- I just want to check it out. I've always been a big chicken about surgery, but it's great to read how well you've done!!

Bellezza said...

I love Fall, night, coffee, Mozart...in fact, most of the things you listed. I bought the Lonesome Dove soundtrack for my father this past Christmas because I love the book and he loves the movie. I don't think he likes the soundtrack as much, though. It's fun learning more about you. You did surprise me by saying you'd not choose super-duper hearing. Which would be super annoying with all the noise surrounding us all day long. There'd be no peace whatsoever!

p.s. I'm thinking about us and our mothering young men. We'll make it!