Monday, January 7, 2008

Do I have to love deafness to accept it?

The concept of self-acceptance and Deafhood has been tossed around quite a bit lately. Many have differing opinions regarding what this means to Deafness or deafness. Does it mean you need to love being deaf? Or does it mean you merely need to accept deafness? What does it mean to accept deafness if you don't love deafness? How can you love yourself as a d/Deaf person if you don't love being d/Deaf?

I have come to believe self-acceptance or self-love should not depend at all on our physical abilities. I believe anyone who has lost a sense or become disabled late in life may come to the same conclusion. I am not a lesser person because I lost my hearing. I'm still me. If I gained my hearing back, I would not be a better person. I would still be me. I am me with or without my hearing. The same logic applies to a born Deaf person. He or she would not be a better person if he or she could suddenly hear. Neither Deafhood or "Hearinghood" is something to be celebrated. We are all who we are. Our abilities to hear have nothing to do with who we are. However, we all may wish to celebrate our own individual wonderful journeys through life, whether we can hear or not. There is no doubt a d/Deaf journey can be as exciting and fulfilling as a hearing one.


Taking this one step further, I believe self-acceptance cannot be attached to any ideal physical measure of being. Because the physical body is prone to change, self acceptance must be come from within. Intrinsic values are the foundation of self-acceptance, not extrinsic values. Just as perfect hearing is nothing to celebrate, so is Deafness nothing to celebrate. How we look, our weight, beauty at a certain age, flawless skin, our height, our hair . . .If we live long enough-- it all goes. It's better to love ourselves for who we are inside rather than how we look, how well we hear, see, walk, and so on. Our bodies fall apart over time. Our physical bodies are impermanent.

Other impermanent values are status, identity, reputation, job, money, sports performances, health -- the list is endless. . . Even the level of education we've received loses its importance over time. Those who base self-acceptance on impermanent values remain in constant struggle to maintain self-acceptance. There is always someone who makes more money, has a better job, is in better physical shape, has nicer kids, plays a better game of golf, owns a better car, has a bigger stamp collection or a prettier garden, a cooler blog. . .etc. While maintaining one's health is a worthy goal, the fact is we are all born with a certain combination of genes that leave one prone to health conditions others may not have to worry about.

So you might ask-- What should we base self-love on if not our accomplishments, what we own, or physical attributes?


The truth is others do not love us for our cars or our beautiful gardens, and our stamp collections. Those who "love" us for beauty don't love us, they only love the idea of people seeing them with us. It's intrinsic value that makes each of us special and lovable. That perfect ball of combined peculiarities that creates your unique essence. The fact that maybe you sleep with one eye half open, or you always only hiccup three times then it's over, and Brussels sprouts make you truly gag and there's a cute story about how you got lost in New York City when you were only three, or that everyone LOVES your popcorn because you slather it in butter. Really!! It's silly, but that's what people love about you, or it's some other thing just that silly. I've grieved and I've seen others grieve. No one ever says, "He had such a GREAT car!" when they're grieving. They say things like, "Remember how he used to vacuum the carpet in such perfect lines, but always missed under the coffee table?" or "Gawd, how she loved those ugly dancing shoes--do you remember?"

Self-acceptance should be rooted in the principles we live by. Some common values might be service to the needy, honesty, simplicity, environmental awareness, faith in something-- whether it's Jesus Christ or the Democratic party, peace, mindfulness, spreading joy, teaching others, searching for truth, not eating anything that has to be killed . . . and so on. These intrinsic values are not impacted by life circumstances. When self-love is based on ethics, ability to accept self remains in tact.
Deaf and deaf people currently have many opportunities of focus that may promote communication, unite and strengthen their communities. We can choose commitment toward better understanding of each other. Working towards unity is a wonderful way to express self-acceptance.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes we are accept being deaf people who made a human by god made us being Deaf people who born deaf person that heart always accept who am i being deaf snd also who been late born got sick became deaf like mostly 2 yrs old being lost hearing. i have no idea for d/Deaf different in english langauge. i think Deaf is first open start who is Deaf and after that english deaf when it been talk in sentence. usally i use deaf all times but there vlog got idea start with Deaf mean strong words as real Deaf person talk to you. i love Deaf cause i like quiet no noise some time i cannot hear i would borrow hearing ear or trade ear sometime hearing said too noise i would borrow Deaf ear made quiet hush. lol

Anonymous said...

There are a number of views on this. If you are 'new' to the 'Deaf' world then you have to accept it, AND, whatever the social attitude to it is with those peers, if you don't you will have considerable difficulty fitting in, and be worse off..

I think at day one or before preferably, you have to take a concious decision as to IF you think you have the determination and wherewithall to fit in with another culture, because a lot try, and a lot fail, and get very isolated, very angry, very frustrated.

The key is in approriate support and avice before the curtain comes down on the useful hearing you have left, because it can be too late afer when that lifeline has gone.

Test said...

Wow!

Karen Mayes said...

Yes, yes! These Dr. Seuss characters kept showing up in my mind in the last year but I could not figure out the name of that! ;o) Can be amusing from observing from distance, huh?

Loved your article. That is how I view Deafhood as it should be, plus shedding the imaged cloak of oppression and childhood nightmares... don't make them real. Past is past. I am sad to see how some people cling to past, using it as the reason for our "plight". I can understand Jew's stand on past, since what Nazi did to Jews is UNFORGETABLE! Last night my husband and I watched "The Chosen", about two Jewish boys... one from Hasidiac branch and another from Conservative branch becoming friends despite the differences in their up growing and we see how parents dealing with it... reservation and acceptance. When the friends watched the movie, especially the post movie's news about the discovery of concentration camps (they were called "mills", as I learned), we see the unity until the idea of establishment of Israel which caused a strong disagreement from Hasidiac branch. They are all Jews but have different ideas of what Judaism should mean. They are no different from us d/Deafies.

Deb Ann and Hannah said...

I love who you are! =)

Thanks, Kim. I believe in doing commitment toward better understanding of each other and working towards unity. Amen!
Being patience is also a part of it.

deafk said...

Hi,

I was thinking how I came to accept my whole being as a Deaf person. It was all based on "a problem that needs to be fixed." Attitudes all from parents, doctors and educators!! I grew up with those attitudes. Then I came to accept at age 15. It was rather pretty late for the acceptance. So, I have seen the other Deaf people who still struggle to accept their whole beings as Deaf people.


Thanks for bringing this up.

deafk

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Beautifully said. I also think others love us based on the way we treat them. We all need love and acceptance and cherish it when we find people who give us that.
Thanks for your wonderful reflection today. It certainly got me thinking.

Unknown said...

Hi Kim,
The brussel sprouts paragraph was beautiful and thought provoking, they make me gag, too. Once I tried hiding them under the mashed potatoes so I could have the strawberry shortcake dessert surprise. My mom covered me. Thanks for reminding me of that. And you know I'm all about that last paragraph...you are a beautiful person. Jodi