Sunday, January 27, 2008

Can the "Culture" Argument Be Applied Equally?

Today I came across a dvd I'm sure many of you have seen. Maybe some of you are even in it for all I know. . . haha! It's called The Sound and Fury. I watched it several years ago with mixed feelings. Seeing it again reminded me of a blog I read recently -- Cochlear Implant On-line. Rachel, a young woman who was implanted at age two said one reason her parents decided to go through with the cochlear implant, rather than teaching Rachel ASL was because her parents were not deaf and didn't know ASL themselves. If they had wanted to teach Rachel ASL, they would have had to learn it themselves first, and the ASL would have been a second language to them. She explained how ASL was not their culture. She then used an analogy of American parents who adopt a Chinese baby. Adoptive American parents of foreign children usually teach their babies English because they live in America, she said.

Rachel's mother Melissa then commented in Rachel's blog there were additional reasons. They HAD in fact explored the pros and cons thoroughly, then decided a cochlear implant would offer their daughter the most opportunities in life. You can read the entire blog here. I'm not judging. I might have done the very same thing myself 20 years ago if faced with the same options. I don't know. I'm not sure what I would do today. It's no longer my decision to make, since I'm past the age to have children.

I thought Rachel had a valid point. Parents normally raise their children in the culture they live, not the culture the child came from. In the case of Deaf children, the vast majority are born into hearing families.

However I saw some holes in her analogy. For example, adopted Korean children often go to Korean school or meet with other Koreans to learn about their culture and country. Also adopted children from other countries are hearing and can learn any language, where as Deaf children are Deaf whether they have a cochlear implant or not. They're still Deaf in many situations-- at night, while swimming, water-skiing, snorkeling, taking a shower, when the batteries die or the implant malfunctions. Even though a piece of technology helps them hear for awhile, they are still d/Deaf. No matter what country you live in, it doesn't change the fact you can't hear in those situations.

I had completely forgotten about Sound and Fury until I saw it in the check-in bin today, while working. For those few of you who don't know what it's about I've copied amazon.com's brief synopsis here--

Amazon.com
You might expect that the cochlear implant, a device that can give deaf people the gift of hearing, would be embraced by the deaf community. Josh Aronson's Sound and Fury, a compelling and often devastating documentary, tells a different story. Two brothers, one deaf and one hearing, grapple with a decision concerning their deaf children, and the debate that rages through the extended family turns less on technology and medical concerns than social politics and culture. The deaf parents of a school-age girl fear what the implant would do to her unique identity, while the hearing parents of a toddler see no question at all. Aronson gives all sides their say, but ultimately the increasingly angry arguments reveal prejudices and fears from both sides and split the once-harmonious family, much like they have split hearing and deaf communities across the country. --Sean Axmaker

The first time I saw it several years ago, I thought about it all night. When you're hearing, the argument that "Deaf isn't MY culture seems perfectly sane." Of course. It's hard to learn a second language. How can you teach a child ASL if you yourself don't use ASL?

But when the tables are turned and there are two Deaf parents with a Deaf child who say, "Hearing isn't MY culture, why should I implant MY child?" they have the same argument, don't they?

Worse, because success with an implant depends on AVT, it seems like a quite a hurdle for Deaf parents to cross with their child's oral progress. If a hearing parent with working hands can't learn ASL, I wonder how a Deaf parent with non-working ears could be expected to help a Deaf child learn to speak??

And still-- many Hearing people I've discussed this movie with don't quite understand. They think you can just implant a kid and then they're hearing. Praise the Lord! It was clear in the movie the grandparents of this family didn't understand. They put so much pressure on their Deaf son and his wife to implant their granddaughter.

All I can say is it's sad the way Deafness sometimes tears families apart so much. I see the definitions/labels tearing a community apart in here. I don't think there are any right or wrong answers to the cochlear implant issue. We all have choices to make and God knows we each have to live with those choices -- right or wrong. Hindsight is sometimes best. Let's try to be more gentle with each other as we move along into our own unknowns.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job! Nice point.

Karen Mayes said...

Yeah...

Have you watched Sounds and Fury part 2? The deaf family finally accepted CI and their daughter was mainstreamed and doing academically well, their son implanted also, and the wife as well. The father did not get implanted.

Shows that they accepted CI after doing more research and all...

Anonymous said...

I think the attempts to portray anyone deaf as having a deaf culture is failing, there are a lot more challenges to the perceptions these days to the 'image' of deaf people. It was never accurate anyway.

Deaf.read does it's best to include as many different deaf people as possible. This in itself will show the argument of a deaf culture is up against it. There are many deaf people, but not many who feel they are cultural in respect of it. They recognize they can't hear, and use different ways to communicate, but that's it.

I think the hard-core of ASL/BSL 'Deaf' do a great PR job, but I think it is to convince themselves more than to influence others we are all like that.

Deafhood and stuff like that has little kudos with 'deaf' people, and none at all with HI. The hearing view seems to be "Whatever turns you on".... Personally I think Mr Ladd is the deaf personification of the Emperor's New Clothes' fable....

The CI implant thing goes on, and on, most are bored rigid with it, and it's not as if the 'Cultural Deaf' can influence it at all.

They've blown any public empathy with them over it, because others can see it is denial of choice. "Hearing Aids are child abuse, CI's are cultural genocide..", etc, mainstream things Deaf have the problem.

The CI issue has drastically cut the ground from under the cultural feet, they have to embrace them, and accept those with them, or, in years to come CI wearers will be the majority and culture with it's back to the wall. It will be replaced with a CI culture.
What is to be gained by alienating the CI wearer ?

Has deaf culture a death wish ?

Karen Putz said...

Here's a follow up interview that I did with the Sound and Fury family: http://www.handsandvoices.org/articles/misc/V8-4_soundfury.htm

I love your last sentence: "Let's try to be more gentle with each other as we move along into our own unknowns"

Anonymous said...

If you view the follow up DVD "S&F: Six Years Later" you will see a comment by the grandfather that *really* raises red flags for an abusive family situation. I mean red flags for the grandparents being controlling to the point of physical abuse.
asper

Kim said...

Really?! I knew the mother was initially on the fence, then changed her mind. She seemed to have the hardest time deciding. I didn't even know there was a Part 2! I wanna get it now!! :-)

Kim said...

Hi Anonymous--I really need to get this part 2 now!! I wonder if I can find it on netflix?? I'm not surprised about the abuse. They alluded to it in the first episode. They showed how the son felt so alone until he went away to Deaf school because his parents didn't learn ASL until he was older. I thought it was interesting the daughter-in-law's parents were never interviewed.

Kim said...

Karen P--That was a beautifully written and interesting follow-up on the Artinian family. Thanks so much for sending it in. I hope everyone clicks your link!

Ii had to sympathize with Nita's feelings of being overwhelmed during the filming of the first documentary and how that impacted their family during the critical decision making process. Really enlightening! I'm glad the family is past that now and has reunited once again. :-) Sounds like all are doing well with their CI's!

Karen Mayes said...

The hearing sister did show up on Food TV Network (cookies bake-off) and I think she won 2nd place... I don't remember. It happened last year and it was good watching her... she was easy to lipread, I guess due to having grown up in a deaf family ;o)

Abbie said...

I have got to check this movie out. I have never watched, isn't that ironic?

Kim said...

Hi Abbie-- When you do, don't forget to get the second one. The follow-up, which I did not even know existed. I feel like I want to watch it a second time to refresh my memory, and then watch the second one.