Friday, October 12, 2007

Communication Barriers



Last Wednesday marked my fourth day in ASL class and I was pleased with my test score of 99 out of 100. This wasn't a huge surprise because much of the vocabulary was a review since I've already taken courses at the Hearing Speech and Deafness Cntr. and have spent lots of time conversing with a couple deaf friends. I was worried that I had lost some vocabulary since I haven't seen them lately, but it's quickly coming back.

The great thing about my college course is my deaf teacher is spending more time on ASL grammar and convention than my previous instructor did. She's moving quickly and I've already picked up many new words including the ASL names for all the local cities around here. Up til now I've only known Seattle, the town where my daughter goes to school, and a few towns in my vicinity. My teacher is absolutely wonderful! She's a natural mime. She has a great sense of humor and it's a perfect class for me in that we aren't allowed to talk, so it's a real visual experience which is the best way for me to learn ASL as a late-deafened person. One concern I previously had about taking college courses was that so many of them are geared towards interpreters.

Because we don't use our voices in class, I go into "no voice" mode and had not talked once until last Wednesday. Occasionally she does ask for people in the class to interpret what she's signing. It's clear she expects class participation and so--last Wednesday she asked (by pointing) for someone to make up a sentence and for someone else to "interpret." Pretty much the entire class had spoken up at some point. I knew she expected me to particpate. There came a time when no one knew the answer but me. As I've explained in the past, when I'm in ASL mode I really enjoy NOT talking, and I take my hearing aids off in class, so I'm kicking back just enjoying ASL and deafness. At that point when she kept asking if anyone knew the answer, I struggled with this because I knew the answer and no one else did. Very hesitantly I raised my hand and spoke aloud-- for the first time.

Then she signed "again" until I repeated my answer three times. She has never done this to anyone else. I always sit right up front. She's hard-of-hearing/deaf-- I'm not sure which. I don't know if I wasn't speaking loudly enough or if she was having trouble reading my lips, but I was embarrassed. I've become self-conscious of my speech because people have said it has changed and have asked about my "accent." Then when she made me repeat the answer over and over and over I wondered if she didn't understand me because I was talking weird, and if everyone else in the class thought I had weird speech. Finally she signed my interpretation was correct and moved on. She has sort of a teasing way about her, so I'm pretty sure she wasn't doing it to be mean. But it was awkward for me and I'm not sure if I will speak again for the rest of the quarter when she asks someone to "interpret." And I can't talk to her about it because we're only allowed to sign with her. Do I need to reframe my perspective? This is way too complicated to for me to discuss with her partly because I might be over-reacting, and partly because I don't have the ASL vocabulary to clearly express my feelings or concerns about the possibility that my speech might be deteriorating along with my hearing. How convoluted is that?? I mean. . . the irony of it-- I'm in ASL to learn how to talk with my hands and feeling awkward about my voice.



Picture above taken by Wanderlust http://flickr.com/photos/phoebewanders/

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Awwwwwwwww, Kim!! *hugs* I dropped out of Public Speaking TWICE...because I felt awkward about my voice :( People say I sound fine, but I think I have a hang-up about it...I've seen/heard myself on video, and am not comfortable talking to other hearing people :(. At least with deaf/HOH people they understand, so it's not quite as uncomfortable for me!
I have a CI buddy that lives close to Seattle...he has a blog, too...cool! :)
Oh, and Ro-Tel? It's usually found with the canned tomatoes: it's diced tomatoes and green chile peppers together...AWESOME! We make a cheese dip with a block of Velveeta and a couple cans of Ro-Tel that is out of this world!
Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

I think you should continue to speak when you feel like participating. Do you know any of the other students in the class?

I really want to learn ASL in a classroom environment. I've been building vocabulary from videos and books, but haven't take a good class yet.

Good for you, 99 out of 100!

And you have the best graphics, it's always so visually stimulating to come over here...

Kim said...

Thanks Hetha! Maybe I'll try speaking up next time. I have a tendancy to talk quietly because it's hard for to gage the volume of my voice.

Kim

Kim said...

Hi Jennifer-- Yeah I don't think it would have bothered me as much if it weren't for the rest of the class, because I knew the teacher was HOH. Thanks for telling me about the Ro-tel. I'll look for it. I wonder if I know your CI buddy?

Smiles,
Kim

Kim said...

Oh-- and Hetha--No I don't know any of the students very well but the guy who always sits next to me is HOH/deaf. He has spoken once or twice. I don't know if he has "deaf" voice. Obviously I'm not a good judge of that.

Kim

Anonymous said...

Kim, just a thought - you can always write a note to your teacher & tell her of your concerns. If I was your teacher, I'd want to know...
You go, girl.
hugs,
Melissa