Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Philly Day Two at the Zoo!


Day Two in Philadelphia there was nothing planned until the Welcome Party at 7pm. Lorne would be flying in around 4-ish and Robyn wanted to see the zoo. She had never seen American animals in real life, she said. Which ones, I asked? She wanted to see a raccoon, which made me smile. I've got a family of raccoons living right in my yard. I actually don't like them very much because they aren't nice to cats. She also wanted to see squirrels, snakes and bears. I have ALL these in my yard. Bears do not come into my yard often, but I have had one. She had to say 'bears' three times then spell it because I couldn't understand what she meant with her accent. It looked like she was saying bees when I read her lips. The New Zealand 'r' is very soft. I couldn't believe they didn't have bees in NZ. HAHA! They DO! Of course!

We got up early, then went to breakfast in the hotel. It turned out Michael, Paul and RuthAnn also wanted to come with us to the zoo, which was fine with us-- the more, the merrier!

Robyn planned on bringing her marmite to breakfast so us Americans could try it, but she forgot. I was SO relieved. It stunk! OH! Before I forget. We became extremely upset with the breakfast service. They had a buffet but several of the board members didn't want that much to eat, so ordered a light breakfast instead-- Robyn included. After an hour and a half, they started throwing down their napkins and getting really pissed off. Nothing came. I got down to breakfast late. I was not hungry because I was still full from Robyn's pineapple lumps the night before. They're SOOOOOOOO good. So anyway, I went up to the desk, and complained about the slowness of their service. My breakfast order was taken and served within minutes. The rest got theirs too. We had tons of problems with the hotel staff throughout. More about that later. None of us ate breakfast at the hotel again until the final breakfast buffet where they went all out to please us, but our silver and plates were not well cleaned. Two people at my table sent their service back. Mine was OK.

Back to the zoo--those of you who know Robyn know she's into photography in a big way, and she takes beautiful pictures. I urge you to go to her blog if you haven't. Photography was the whole point of hitting the zoo. I should mention here, it was the oldest zoo in the country. It opened in 1874. It's a very, very small zoo-- but I sorta liked it because the animals were close and the buildings were old and beautiful. In the Seattle zoo, all the animals have much more space which means they often wander far away from the viewing area. This is better for the animals I know, but I kinda liked being able to see them up close in Philadelphia.


Anyway-- it was hot out and they had confiscated my sunscreen at the airport-- so Paul and I bought some there. It was really cool cuz the bottle has a little metal ring you can attach to a belt loop or your tote so you won't lose it. I LOVED this idea! So did Paul! Now we have matching sunscreens!


We got separated several times at the zoo, so we all exchanged phone numbers and texted each other all the time. Somehow the first time I texted Paul to see where he was, he sent back the word, "just." ARGGHH! Later, when Paul and I couldn't find Robyn, she sent back the word "just" too. This has become a joke -- or maybe it's a secret code I've never figured out.

I should add here Philly is very easy to get around without a car. They have these tourist buses that will drive you to all the fun places tourists like to go. You don't have to worry about navigating a strange city by bus because it goes in a constant circle. If you miss your stop you'll end up there again in no time. Our zoo driver became upset and stressed out when he ended up driving behind a horse drawn carriage traveling on the wrong street. Then he became upset again when another tour bus parked in his spot. I was happy to be riding in the bus instead of driving.

It didn't take long to go thru the zoo. Robyn and Michael decided to do some more exploring. I went back to the hotel with RuthAnn and Paul. On our way back, we ran into some more SWC members going out for lunch, so we tagged along, ending up at a little coffee shop/deli. There I had the worst lunch ever-- though it initially sounded good. A sandwich with roasted eggplant, spinach and white cheese that had no flavor at all. The spinach wasn't sauteed or anything, so it was also tasteless,but it would have been fine if the cheese had some flavor. It was AWFUL! But I ate it up anyway.

Then it was time to go back. Several people by now knew about my stupid mistake with the flight arrangements, and they let me know Lorne got in OK-- ALONE. I hoped he wasn't upset with me. It was time to shower and get ready for the Welcome Party.



I had a blast meeting up with several people I had not seen in over a year. Some of them spoke ASL and I was happy I understood. I let one woman try out my pocket talker cuz she had never seen one. Robyn had brought some wine from New Zealand and was handing out samples. I talked to several others there-- One of the BOD members had some special fortune cookies made up with fortunes that said things like, "If you talk to my back, expect to pay." HAHA! Lorne showed up and assured me he was not mad. I felt better after that. We all had to move downstairs into the bar after 10 so the other hotel patrons could get some sleep. I should not post pics of people without their permissions, so I disguised them all with Photbucket tools. I LOVE Photobucket tools! I took the picture of the flamingoes above too, then turned them into a painting!

I miss Robyn. She's still texting me from CA, telling me where all she's going. Today while at my Weight Watchers meeting she let me know she was eating ice cream on the beach. . .PFFFT.

3 comments:

David said...

You guys must be having a hoot!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for blogging about the con! I am SO sorry I missed it (snif).
Melissa in northern Wyoming

Abbie said...

I need to order some more of those pineapple thingies, there were so good! :)