Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I've been away

I feel badly I've been neglecting my blog here. The past two weeks I've been attending back to back hearing loss conventions. The first was in Vancouver, BC. Maybe some of you went to the International Federation of Hard of Hearing Congress 2008 (IFHOH), though I didn't recognize anyone other than those I already knew from the northwest. Over 500 deaf/HOH people were in attendance AND it was the largest gathering of deaf/HH people ever in Canada. Twenty-seven different countries were represented. I attended eight workshops and took tons of notes. The most informative was on new technologies in hearing aids and another on Menieres, though most all offered insight into how people experience hearing loss all over the world. I came away with a sense that accommodations for the deaf and hard-of-hearing are a problem everywhere. If one country offers a certain accommodation, they do not offer another. I'll share more information about that over the next few weeks, but I'm busy attending another Convention in Philadelphia now for the Say What Club.

I just flew in this afternoon and I'm rooming with Robyn, the Ambling Rambler who came all the way from New Zealand. http://robyncarter.blogspot.com/2008/07/gone-to-usa.html So far we've had fun comparing sign languages and trying to understand each other over our thick accents. I'm enjoying her immensely. Tomorrow we have big plans to go to breakfast, where she's dying for me to try an awful smelling concoction on toast called Marmite that smells suspiciously like congealed beef broth. She assured me it's vegetarian. I can't imagine eating it on toast, but she said it's good with tea. New Zealanders like their hot tea even when it's 90 degrees outside. Another goody she brought from home is called Pineapple Lumps. They're very tasty little bits of chocolate covered fruity flavored squares, and I've snuck three more while she wasn't looking (don't tell). After breakfast, we're off to the zoo so she can take pics of American animals -- snakes, raccoons, squirrels, etc. Workshops don't start until Thursday.

Many SWC-ers arrived early. I had dinner with eleven of them this evening downstairs in the bar. Then came back upstairs to crash as I hadn't had any sleep in nearly thirty-six hours. Now I'm wide awake and it's bedtime.

I'll see Tina Childress for the second week in a row because she spoke at IFHOH last week and will be speaking again here at the SWC Convention this week. For those of you who don't know her, she's a late-deafened audiologist with two cochlear implants. Fascinating story, since she learned ASL and became an audiologist BEFORE losing her hearing to an auto-immune disease.

That's all for now. I'll fill you in later on the workshops and try to send pics too.

9 comments:

Ken said...

For more information about Ménière's Disease and a less invasive treatment option, visit http://www.meniett.com

David said...

Hi Kim, say hello to Robyn for me. It was here that got me to believe that I can run again.
Hope the convention is good. Enjoy the NZ treats.

David

Abbie said...

I hope you had a great time meeting my buddy Wayne last night. He is a real sweetie :) I can't wait for Saturday!!!

Say Hi to Tina Childress :)

Kim said...

Hi Abbie,
I just realized I typed Toni Childers. hahaha! She's an old friend and I get them mixed up. Yes-- I'll say hey to Tina Childress. I haven't met Wayne yet. We just had the welcome party tonight and it was very crowded. I look forward to meeting you on Saturday. Have tried to contact you a couple times with the addy you gave me. If you need to email me, try kward5@tmail.com-- OK? Works better on my SK. You have my phone number and I also have an IM. Kim :-)

Tomorrow we're going on a Duck Tour

Kim said...

Hi Ken,
We know about the meniette. Has it worked for you? My husband seems to be managing with pills right now, but we've considered the meniette. I met a guy from Sweden who knew someone who tried it too. I was surprised at the many different alternative treatments being tried all over the world. :-)

Kim said...

Hey David,
Robyn says hello back. She's so sweet.

Kim said...

Hi Again Abbie,
I just asked Robyn if she had met a Wayne. That's who she had dinner with last night-- the Advanced Bionics guy. She left just as I checked in, and I was too exhausted to go to dinner with them as I hadn't slept for 36 hours. I didn't realize that was the guy you know. He wasn't at the welcome party tonight. Are you bringing him on Saturday??

Unknown said...

So glad to hear you've been having a great time! I so badly wanted to go to the Vancouver convention but alas finances prevented me from attending. Hope you can share some of the information you gleaned from the various workshops with us!

If Marmite is anything like Vegemite....good luck!! (ewwww! lol!)

Kim said...

Dy-- I'll get around to discussing Marmite again. I DID try it.
:-) I've got lots of stories to tell about the two conventions. Stay tuned.