Thursday, July 17, 2008

IFHOH Final Day -- Inspiration

IFHOH Day Four

Day four started out like the other days-- a long drive to the Wall Center, followed by coffee at Starbucks and attendance at workshops. Unlike the other days, I felt a little bit more harried than usual because I had to pack my bags early in the morning and take them with me to the hotel. The only thing I left behind was a package of Splenda.

The first workshop I attended was Become A Hero: Unleashing Your Potential by Michael Currie. Currie was downright entertaining and also motivational. He began his presentation with antidotes about his own heroes, relating story after story of his life interspersed with jokes. I loved the way he used humor to drive home the point that roadblocks shouldn't stop you from anything. Be creative. Be positive. Think outside the box.

The next speaker of this session was Dean Olson who is well-known in the Seattle area. His workshop Hearing Loss in the Workplace and Beyond was about using modern technology to assist in the workplace. Again the topic of self-disclosure came up, and also how to present oneself so that co-workers see the entire person rather than just your hearing loss. I wish this session had been longer. It could have easily been a two-hour workshop. I felt we only skimmed the surface.


The final presentation of this session was Communication Bloopers and Hearing Loss: Suggestions for Improving Communication Outcomes by Debbie Quinn. I had been looking forward to this one. Her own bloopers weren't as funny as some the participants shared, but she gave some great advice on how to deal with communication problems in the workplace. People shared a lot of funny stories. Sometimes being HH/deaf is hilarious.

After this session we had lunch. Since we were on our own that day, we walked to a little supermarket/deli across the street from the hotel. I was surprised by the variety of salads, sandwiches and soups. It was difficult to choose, but I finally settled on something that looked like tabbouleh with dill pickles in it. An odd combination, but not too bad. This was the only day it rained, and it literally poured on us as we walked back to the hotel. The Canadians were all apologizing, as if they could control the weather. I just smiled. Since I live in the Seattle area, I totally understood how they felt. It's so embarrassing when it rains on out-of-town guests during the summer, but I happen to like summer rain.

The next workshop was Perspectives from a Hard of Hearing Audiologist by Jamie Grew. Like Currie's presentation, he was funny, motivational and interesting. He grew up with hearing loss and he now works as an audiologist. In addition to relating his own personal story, he found time to share with us tidbits of info about Canadians and Canada. For example, Superman was created by a Canadian. As an HH audiologist, Grew said he can do anything except listen to someone's hearing aid when it goes bad. Since he works in an office with other audiologists that isn't a problem. The benefits of having an HH audiologist are many-- mainly because he has actually tried out the hearing equipment he sells and he's able to relate a lot of other information to his patients about ALD's and support that most audiologists leave out-- since they've never worn hearing aids. If you think about it, it's like a car salesman who doesn't drive. I was so impressed with Grew's presentation I've actually googled to see if there was an HH audiologist in the Seattle area.

Finally, the last workshop of IFHOH was Hearing in Harmony- Life as a Deaf Audiologist by Tina Childress. I've met Tina before when she spoke at my Say What Club convention last year. She's such a great speaker we had her back again this year. Her story is interesting and inspiring. She became deaf after becoming an audiologist. Talk about coincidence. In many ways she was more prepared than the average late-deafened adult. She had the audiology background and knew ASL. And yet she was shocked by how deafness affected her, even with all her knowledge. Whenever I hear her story I'm deeply moved. Like the others, she hasn't allowed deafness to stop her. I had lunch with her the following week in Philadelphia. She's an amazingly fun, motivated, intelligent person. I'm so glad I've had the opportunity to spend time with her.

Then it was time to go home, do laundry and repack. Next up-- Philadelphia!


IFHOH-- Day Three, Part II
IFHOH Day Three, Part I
IFHOH Day Two
International Federation of Hard of Hearing Congress -- Part 1

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oops, I forgot to bring your Splenda. Is that a good enough excuse for a repeat visit?

Great recap again, Kim. I can't believe you retained all that information, I didn't see you taking notes.

Kim said...

Thanks Lorne. I'm pretty sure Joanne uses splenda. I saw another box in your cupboard-- but yeah-- we should get together soon.

Anonymous said...

Kim,

You went to all of the workshops that were my second choices! How nice it was for me to read a bit of your thoughts on these workshops.

I actually had a hard time deciding which workshops to attend because I wanted to attend so many of them and many of them were offered at the same time.

I can't wait until all of the powerpoints that the presenters used are posted on the CHHA or the IFHOH website!

Thanks a bunch.

Kim said...

Hi Jonathan, I had a real hard time deciding. A couple of my friends went to different workshops and shared what they learned. Every evening at dinner we discussed the workshops we'd been to. I'm still digesting all the information.

I was hoping they would have had all their powerpoints up by now.

Anonymous said...

Jonathan,
I've heard that the CART transcripts from the IFHOH convention would be posted on the CHHA website but I don't know when. I've been looking. There were dozens of workshops, and Kim and i attended only a fraction of them. I didn't take notes, so I want to refresh my memory on some of the material that was presented.

Abbie said...

I really love reading your recap and I see how interesting this one organization is! I would have a blast, I would. I feel as though I am there :)

Kim said...

IFHOH is just something you go to. I'm not sure you have to join anything. I didn't. They have it in a different country every year. Maybe the country joins or something, but it seemed like it was open to anyone who wanted to pay the money. I felt it was well worth the $300, because of all the workshops and banquets.

Anonymous said...

Kim,

Actually, the next IFHOH is going to be in 2012 and it will be in Olso, Norway. IFHOH Congresses take place once every four year. And, there is a bidding process that nations must go through. This year, Norway won over Switzerland and Germany.

The next CHHA Conference will be in St. John's, Newfoundland. It will be happening between May 21 and May 24, 2009. the theme is "Technology: The Gateway to Heairng Life".

Anonymous said...

Jonathan,
I got an email from the CHHA national office today advising that the written material from the CHHA-IFHOH Congress (either Powerpoint presentations or CART transcripts, I'm not sure which) are being gathered and should be uploaded to the CHHA website before the end of summer.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic news, Lorne. Thanks for sharing that tidbit with me.