Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Thrillers With Deaf Characters

I read A Maiden's Grave by Jeffrey Deaver, years ago, and I couldn't put it down. This is the book that turned me into a Jeffrey Deaver fan long before he became popular. Though it's one of his earliest novels I believe maybe it is his best. This is about a bus full of Deaf school girls who end up getting kidnapped and held hostage in a deserted warehouse along with their Deaf teacher. The Deaf characters are portrayed as brave and smart as they find ways to foil their captors. Meanwhile a detective works around the clock to find them. It's a cat and mouse game of wits until the very end.

Another great thriller is Talk Talk by T.C. Boyle. This is about a Deaf woman who has her identity stolen. Falsely accused of a crime and her bank account frozen, she and her hearing boyfriend embark on a dangerous cross-country search for the sleazeball using her ID. The Deaf woman, Dana Halter, is brilliant, headstrong and courageous.

I loved the way both of these authors dispel stereotypes of Deaf people with their positive characterizations of the Deaf as strong and intelligent.

5 comments:

Deb Ann and Hannah said...

Hello, my favorite writer!

Thank you for sharing this info ,and it sounds realllly good! I gotta get books by Jeffrey and T.C. from my local library. :)

I'm waiting to hear from the library and I put it on the request. It's the book written by Dr. Paddy Ladd (Understanding Deaf Culture: In search of Deafhood) I hope it will come in soon.

I need to learn to be a vegetarian again. I kinda miss that.

It's soo to hear from you again by your blog. Keep writing!

Kim said...

Deb Ann,
You're so SWEET! Thanks so much for the compliments on my blog. I LOVE your blog too!

Maybe you can post more vegetarian recipes? I'm always looking for easy things to make.

Deb Ann and Hannah said...

All right :)

Do you like tofu? I like to fry cubed tofu in Olive oil and then coated them in sesame seeds. I put them on the top of salad. I loved it. I'd love to see some of your recipes, too.

Ooops, I missed one word. It's supposed to be "it's soo GOOD to hear from you..."

Sharon Pajka,Ph.D. said...

KW,
Seems like we have much in common. I keep a Deaf Characters in Adolescent Literature blog(http://pajka.blogspot.com/), have been vegetarian for 15+years, and have Meniere's Disease (i.e. slowing losing my hearing). I've read both books that you mentioned and even had the opportunity to interview Boyle for my blog.
I'm adding your blog to my Google Reader!

Kim said...

Wow! You interviewed Boyle? That's so cool! Thanks for adding me. I've been looking at your site off and on.

My husband has Menieres, so I know how that is. Hope your dizzies aren't too bad.