Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Waiting Forever At the Blinkin Doctor's Office

Today I had a follow-up appointment for last month's surgeries. The doctor wanted to know how I was doing, and to make sure all my incisions had healed. I had never been to his office before since both surgeries were emergencies.

After filling out all the paperwork I told the receptionist, "I am deaf. I will not hear the nurse when she calls my name. Please tell her to tap me when it's time to see the doctor."

"OK--I'll mark that here in your folder," the receptionist said.

I waited forty-five minutes, then went back up to the desk.

"You didn't come when we called," she said.

ARRGGGHH!

This has happened in other offices so many times I could scream. I have another doctor appointment on Thursday. Do you think anyone would notice if I wrote DEAF in big black letters on my forehead with a Sharpie? Not that I plan to mark up my face, but does anyone have an answer for this?

I have a pair of fun Halloween Jack-O-Lantern blinkers that I put on my head for our Trick-or-Treaters each year. I've been thinking maybe a pair of Deaf blinkers would help remind medical staff they have a deaf patient in the waiting room. The Deaf blinkers could also work on the bus to remind a bus driver he needs to wave at me when it's time to get off the bus. (See previous blog.)

I have never seen Deaf blinkers, but I'm thinkin two great big yellow ears on floppy springs with the words Deaf! written on top. Or maybe since Hearing people like the ILY sign so much, two floppy, blinking ILY signs with DEAF written across each hand. OR blinking red LIPs would be another great symbol of deafness, since many of us read lips. . .OR maybe instead of blinking things on the head, how about a beautiful blinking pendant?

Deaf people need something that's internationally recognized as a proud symbol of deafness, similar to what the blind have with their white canes.

It's just a thought.

13 comments:

Art said...

No interpreter there ?

Anonymous said...

Deaf blinkers!

Well, I think it would be really cool if those Deaf blinkers also functioned with LOUD air horns! Like, the kind cruise ships use!

That way, when you go to the doctor's office, you can emit a !!BLAST!! every now and then just to keep people on their toes (who cares if it's literal?) so you won't have to wait forever due to someone's stupidity.

I hope you're feeling better.

:o)

Paotie

Deaf Woman said...

BIG LAUGHS! You got it right, it's frustrating! Happens all the time when in new dr's office! I waited about 45 min when I noticed people who came AFTER I did, went in to see dr BEFORE I did...so I went to receptionist...she said "Ooh, what's your last name? We'll be with you shortly." Duh, she had previously said she got my folder! Grrrr!! I don't think I'll wear the hat like you described...hee hee! Thanks for the good laugh! :-)

Kim said...

Hi Art- I became deaf later in life, and rely mostly on lipreading with the help of my hearing aids. I am learning ASL, though I honestly do really well lipreading if people look at me when they speak. It can be exhausting, however.

Divided said...

I like Paotie's suggestion...adding a ship air horn. that would make them not ever forget you! I have that same problem over and over...then I complained to the doctor that his staff was incompetent and had no respect for me as a deaf patient. He held a staff meeting since and they've been much better. When it happens again...I remind them that I am deaf and don't appreciate being ignored. We just gotta keep on educatin' them hearing peeeeeople.
Sure hope you feel better!

Anonymous said...

bummer! one of things i am dread of in the doctor office.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Grrr - how frustrating. You spoke out about your need, watched them make a note of it, and then still didn't get the assistance you needed. Burns me up. Perhaps it might work if you wore a name tag and then asked another person in the waiting room to listen for your name. I'm not too sure about the deaf blinkers or the springy headwear. Here's a funny story of my own experience waiting for my name to be called at the doctor's office:
http://speakuplibrarian.blogspot.com/2007/09/rose-by-any-other-name.html
Sarah

Kim said...

Sarah-- I just read your blog. That was so funny. Yes-- the same thing could happen to me if she called a Jim or Tim, but everyone would notice right away I don't look like a man. These days, you never know though, do you?

The sticky note idea is a good one. Normally they won't right anything permanent on the front of your chart for privacy reasons.

Abbie said...

I will tell you what worked for me. I have enough artistic creativity in me to draw up a neat flyer on a 8 x 11 NEON pink piece of paper with pretty frilly borders all around the sides of it. In the middle it says,

"PLEASE WAVE THIS TO GET MY ATTENTION, I'M DEAF."

When I would go to this one doctors that I had a problem with them calling names out from behind the door (what good is that going to do for me?) When I would go to check in, I would ask the receptionist to clip this sheet to the front of my folder so whoever calls me in knows that I am unable to hear. I would stand there to make sure she HEARD me. It pays to a bitch sometimes I tell ya.

Never had a problem since!

Kim said...

Abbie--That IS a creative idea! Thanks! I don't think it's "bitchy" at all either. People forget. It's SO annoying.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! I REALLY like Abbie's idea! I'm making one now! Thanks for posting this.
(Though I like the air horn a lot, too, LOL).

Anonymous said...

Hi kw,

Do not use ur voice. It will help them remember better? I always use sign language. They wd wave their files at me sometimes. Give it a try.

deafk

Anonymous said...

I just LOVE the neon pink flyer and sign language ideas. Will try those next time. I always have this problem at the doctors but never at the dentist - my most recent story is at http://funnyoldlife.wordpress.com/2007/10/01/casualty-departments-are-just-that/

A friend says he pesters the receptionist every 5 minutes instead of just sitting there, so that's another one to try.