Thursday, February 14, 2008

Lets Stop Bein Crabs

The only alternative to coexistence is codestruction.-- Jawaharlal Nehru

Yesterday I left this comment in John's blog, Children of the Eye. I've modified it somewhat.


"I would like to suggest that someone needs to clarify some rules of respect (within the d/Deaf/hh community.) I realize we can't have a d/Deaf/hh police. We'll have to take it on ourselves to monitor our own comments and maybe talk to our friends when they speak out of line.

1)NO deaf/Deaf/deaf-blind/HH person should ever criticize another deaf/Deaf/deaf-blind/HH if their English skills are lacking when that person makes an effort to subtitle his/her vlogs or writes a blog or transcribes a vlog. This is unproductive and only serves to divide our community.

2)Likewise, no deaf/Deaf/deaf-blind/HH person should criticize another for having poor ASL skills –especially if that person is late-deafened or oral deaf and grew up without the benefit of ASL — because criticism is unproductive and only serves to divide our community.

3) No one–deaf/Deaf/deaf-blind/HH/oral deaf should criticize anyone’s speech. Again this is unproductive and only serves to divide our community.

4) Let us recognize that people within our community may prefer to communicate differently. Some prefer ASL, some prefer to cue, some prefer to speak orally. Our preferences for how we communicate involve many factors. Often communication choices were made for us when we were small, or in the case of late-deafness, lack of exposure to the D/deaf/hh community made it difficult to become fluent in ASL. The preference or ability to speak has nothing to do with being “uppity.” Our reasons for speaking are personal and varied, just as our reasons for NOT speaking. It is simply how we have chosen to manage our d/Deafness or hearing losses within our own personal environments.

5) Let’s recognize that speech has nothing to do with intelligence. Writing has nothing to do with intelligence. The fact that someone grew up hearing does not mean that person thinks he or she is better than everyone who uses ASL or can’t speak and/or write well.

6) Let's realize that we DO share many common bonds. We need to make it our goal to build on what we have in common in order to strengthen the D/deaf/HH community.

Can we all just RESPECT each other??"

It's bad enough when Hearing people don't respect us. Personally I think it's despicable when we don't respect others within our own community. Hurtful behaviors such as should never be tolerated against our own.

To be honest I understand why some of you don't want to write, transcribe or caption your vlogs. I get it. People have laughed at your writing and made you feel like idiots. I understand this. You wanna know why? I'm scared to death to ever sign in front of any of you-- because I'm a beginner. I'm afraid people will laugh and think I'm an idiot. And guess what?? Some of you have criticized others whose signing skills weren't what you thought they should be, so my fear is not completely unfounded. How do you think that made me feel as a beginner when I saw some of you criticize another beginner? I felt sooooooooooo discouraged. I felt like I would NEVER be good enough at ASL to suit some of you, and maybe I should just throw in the towel now instead of making a fool of myself.

Respect goes two ways.



That old crab theory. . . Someday we'll all have to start acting smarter---as a group.

22 comments:

Steve said...

Well point taken! Thanks.

Deb Ann and Hannah said...

Beautiful, Kim!

Yes, I am in a complete agreement with you and we need to start acting smarter as a group. We also need to be flexible.

I just made a silly vlog an half hour ago about the same thing. ;)

Kim said...

DebAnn--We think alike! Have a Happy Valentines Day. . . Hugs,
Kim

Kim said...

Thanks for stopping by, Steve. :-)

David said...

Hi there,

I can understand how you feel about that. Yes many of us have gone through bad and good experiences for years.

I have always encouraged many people to think positively about our way of life as Deaf and ASL. Of course we must work with people who do not know us much and educate them postively rather than criticize them.

Criticizing them senselessly means turning them away indefinitely.

Our experience of oppression has caused so many bitters in our society and it is caled "Cause and Effect". It is beyond our control. It does not mean that we should give them up. It is important for us to get some of them better than nothing.

Deafchip

Kim said...

Thanks so much for stopping by DeafchipDavid, You are one of the positive forces of DeafRead. I always enjoy seeing what you have to say and I appreciate that you make the effort to trancribe your vlogs.

Kim :-)

Anonymous said...

Agree totally.

We do share so many things.

As a group we share the same type of humour.

We use our eyes much more, and are often way more observant than our hearing counterparts.

As our group we encounter many of the same problems and/or difficulties that hearing loss of any degree gives us.

We usually have similar/same frustrations, no matter the degree of hearing loss.

Yep - by bonding together we would be a much much more powerful group.

Cheers
Robyn in NZ

Kim said...

Hi Robyn,
Well I thought about blogging about our commonalities, but you beat me to it. hahaha! ;-)

Deb Ann and Hannah said...

*grins*

Happy Valentine's Day, Kim!

Hugs,
Deb Ann

I've always, always, always loved your writing! I still DO!

Anonymous said...

Double standards. Go to the mirror girl. Even you come up with comments full of shit toward the ASL community.

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent blog entry! I totally agree about feeling of being discouraged when others criticize beginner signers. It makes me both not want to sign but also makes me more defiant in making one anyway.

Happy V-Day. smile

Abbie said...

Respect!

My favorite gall bladderless blogger (it hasn't gotten old with me yet because it rolls quite nicely off the tongue)

That all we want! (clapping)
That what I'm talking about! (clapping)

R.E.S.P.E.C.T!

Valerie said...

Very well said. Respect is a two way street. I would hope for all of us to give more respect to each other.

I competely agree with Robyn's comments.

Love your words,
Valerie

Kim said...

Really Anonymous? Well I'm sure I was misunderstood then. I have nothing against the ASL Community. Never have.

Kim said...

Rini-- I know the feeling. deaf/HH people do know a few signs of our own. hahaha!

Kim said...

Oh yeah Abbie-- You an Aretha Franklin fan? One of my all time favorite songs!!!

Anonymous said...

Just be yourself. Don't let others criticize you if you sign irregularly, just learn for the better. :-)

I assure you that you should be fine.

Crab Theory.....nothing new! There is nothing we can do about it unless they learn and change for the better by themselves.

White Ghost

Unknown said...

KW,
I know that feeling of not being comprehended - that discouraging feeling that follows, your post spelled it out very clearly. Dead on analysis of the various situations and conflicts in communication. You never cease to amaze me. Jodi

Karen Mayes said...

Checked on the comments and I winced at the anonymous... I believe it to be a deaf guy from the southern part of California :o).

Yup, the challenge is respect for the groups... I prefer to call it more of "tolerance", accepting the groups.

Hope you are close to 100% health-wise ;o)

Anonymous said...

This is yet another EXCELLENT post, Kim.
I'm liking them so much that I passed my blog award on to you today!
I also hope you're feeling much, much better - I sent you a comment on your hospital post but I don't see it there so I'm not sure you got it.
Big hugs,
Melissa

Kim said...

Thanks Melissa-- I didn't get your hospital comment. Maybe I was spaced out? Thanks so much for the blog award!! :-)

Kim said...

Jodi--Because of your unique position of having lived in another country and not knowing the language I think you may have an understanding of the frustrations of being late-deafened in a way. People talk around you or above you and ignore you because you can't understand. . . Sometimes I feel an odd kinship with new immigrants to the US who can't speak English.