Sunday, March 2, 2008

Free Deaf Bus Fare

I live in the woods east of Seattle. (Yes-- that's my front yard.) When we first moved here, black bears used to wander into our yard sometimes. Then some acreage behind us got developed, and we only see deer or coyote now. We've recently been reclassified from rural to "suburban," but most the roads around here are still windy and have only two narrow lanes. One of the roads on my commute routinely floods during a good rain, so I have to brake for confused salmon flopping their way across blacktop.

I have lived in the woods most my life. I can dodge deer, flopping fish, and downed trees in the road with a logging truck on my tail no problem, but put me in heavy
traffic and I become a nervous ninny. So, if I have to go to Seattle-- which is sometimes necessary because all the best doctors are downtown-- I take a bus. Over the past couple decades, Seattle has steadily grown to the point it is now rated among the nations worst traffic cities for gridlock. Gridlock Alert: Five Cities With the Worst Traffic.

Public transportation is free for disabled people in King County (Seattle-metro). But here's the glitch. In order to get the "free" ride, I have to tell them in my perfect Hearing voice that I am deaf. I have to tell the driver anyway, because I won't hear him call out the stops where I need to get off. I go into Seattle so infrequently, I don't recognize street corners by looking out the window. Usually I get on the bus and tell the bus driver, "I am deaf and need to get off at 5th and Cherry (or wherever). Could you please wave at me when we get there? Because I won't hear you."

"Sure." he'll say.

It never fails. We hit 5th and Cherry (or wherever I need to get off) and he "forgets" to wave me down. He finally remembers a stop or two later.

"Oh NO, I am SO sorry!" he'll say. "I forgot!!! You don't seem like a deaf person. Fifth and Cherry is seven blocks back that way. . .I'm SOOOOO sorry!!!" (I wonder how a d/Deaf person is supposed to 'seem', but I know what he means. We are not supposed to talk, or we're supposed to talk "funny" and make wild gestures like d/Deaf people do on TV.)

This has happened at least. . . five times now, which is how I learned it's best NOT to talk when I get on a bus.

It's better to hand the driver a note. I feel like such a phoney. Worse, handing the driver a note reinforces the D/deaf stereotype that D/deaf people are all mute. But when I hand the driver a note, it helps him to remember he has a D/deaf person on board who needs to be flagged at a stop.



When we get to Fifth and Cherry, he smiles, waves and winks. The note has served its purpose. I sign 'thank you' as I leave, and say a silent prayer of gratitude that the bus driver wasn't a CODA, and that no one on the bus recognized me or started a conversation.

Wouldn't that be embarrassing? How would I explain that yes, I COULD talk and No-- I'm not fluent in ASL, but I really AM deaf, just not Deaf, but LATE-deaf. . .and I was faking being non-oral because the last five drivers forgot to flag me. . . Or maybe I could tell a little white lie-- I'm Late-deaf AND I have laryngitis! No-- this wasn't a ruse to get out of paying bus fare. . .

Or maybe I should carry copies of my audiogram to prove I can't hear, just in case someone catches on that I can really talk? That's assuming he could read an audiogram. It's an awkward position. I have to go downtown at the end of this month for an appointment at Swedish Hospital with a neurologist, and I'm already stressing over it. The ride is boring.



Two bus transfers between here and there. SIGH.



Maybe I should drive. . . But our traffic here in Seattle is horrid. . And I would have to pay for gas and parking. Not to mention finding a spot to park, which is a nightmare in itself.

16 comments:

K.L. said...

I live just South of Seattle, and I don't blame you for not wanting to drive... sigh.

I wonder what the bus driver would do if you did both. Talked to him, and gave him a note to remind him to wave to you? It might be worth a try.

Kim said...

Thanks for stopping by K.L. I just went into your blog. :-) Nice to find another Seattle person in here.

Deb Ann and Hannah said...

This is cool and I'm glad shared this story. Yesterday, my kids and I went to the restaurant and the waiter was so excited to know that I'm deaf. During his break, he came and joined us. He asked for some words he wanted to learn to sign. Being deaf is so good in many ways. How nice that the driver waved and winked to you! I liked it. (winks)

Anonymous said...

Love your article tonite! It's the Catch-22, how to make an invisible disability appear visible, yet you speak. Damn if you, damn if you don't. Interesting irony.

Ann_C

Kim said...

Deb Ann,
Sometimes I get a waiter that knows some ASL. It's so cute cuz they get real excited and want to use it, and they're nervous thinkin I'm a bonified Deaf person in the flesh. I just hafta laff.

Kim said...

Ann_C You got it, That's about right. :-)

DeafKathy (Wilson) said...

Hello! Another person from east of Seattle typing this post up. Yes, I completely agree with you how bad the traffic out there in Seattle. Your story is so similar to my experience back in 1980's when I was working summer job for City of Seattle at age 17. I rode bus from Woodinville to Seattle downtown and being unfamiliar with Seattle downtown area, I ask (gave note) the driver to drop me off at a specfic intersection, often I dont get off at right spot.

Your yard looks so lovely and perfect spot to sit back and relax!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi kw,
It seems like that benefit of having the free ride is meant to make life easier for you but its having the opposite effect. I think your solution of handing the driver the note is a good one and you shouldn't feel guilty about it. It's helping you achieve your goal of getting off at the right stop. You are not being a fake by not using your voice in this case. Hope my two cents helps.
Sarah

Kim said...

Hi DeafKathy--So nice to hear from another Washingtonian!! I can guess where you live. I collect antique teacups and my husband collects saltNpepper shakers. I think we go out your way fairly often. Do you remember the old Norm's Resort? I live near there. We moved here in the early 80's. There wasn't much but a feed store, a plant nursery, topless bar and a MomnPop grocery in town then. :-)

Kim said...

SpeakUP Sarah-
I'm glad you think it's OK to hand a note, because I've done this all thru airports as well. hahaha! I'll blog about that later.

Kim

Deaf Pixie said...

Ann_C,

Agree with you about Catch - 22.. Forgot how to get out of bus.. Old Tv program I forgot what they were looking like now?

I am also from North of Seattle by 145th and 5th area.. few blocks away from Northgate Mall.
Once a while I notice Raccoon always steal my cat's food outside. My catCorky is almost 18 yr in June. he blind by attack by raccon three or less 4th time.

Deaf Pixie

Deaf Pixie said...

Forgot to say something about ride the bus transportion.

Of course it is boring to travel and after the transfered from other first bus. I agree with you about being suffer to ride bus. Also you suffer to drive in bad traffic between After 2pm-6:30pm.

One of most I like to ride every morning.. not afternoon.. Afternoon is very miserable!!

Thanks you for a share about bus fare is free.. It is not free.. Just only about 5.50 dollars per monthly is really amazing CHEAPER! THAN 3.50 per gas fill for fill up. Think to wise to ride bus.

Deaf Pixie

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim - I wonder: do you think they forget because you can talk, or do they forget because they don't have a reminder, like a note? I guess I'm just questioning if this one is late-deaf discrimination or simply just 'memory error' on the part of the drivers, and having the note right there helps them. I like the suggestion to both talk AND hand 'em a note, if it were me, I'd try that, just to see what happened.
(But we don't get free rides in Chicago!)
hugs,
Melissa

Kim said...

Hi Melissa :-) I think it's absent-mindedness, NOT discrimination. When people get on the bus, they have lots of questions. I suppose my request doesn't stand out from the other fifteen. It's a long drive between here and Seattle. HE has to contend with that awful traffic I mentioned, and he's concentrating on his job, and maybe a few other things.

I'll try the note. I liked that suggestions too. But I'm thinking maybe I'll also trying a second reminder as well because even a note could be forgotten.

Usually there's no space for me to sit up front, so I can't sit near the bus driver. If I could, that would be best.

We get free ferry fare too in Washington State. :-)

David said...

So enjoyed this post and could so relate to it. Thanks for making me smile. I thought I was unique in taking my note pad to the butcher/baker/dry cleaners...and your right, my fear too is that it reinforces a stereotype about us.
Great site visually as well
!
David

Anonymous said...

How about printing out a map or buying a map, and relying on that, instead of relying on the driver? I much prefer to be independent - after all, I've fought hard for my independence and like to keep it ;)