Friday, September 21, 2007

You Can Cuss Here


Speaking of lipreading, some funny things happened over the years with my kids. A lot of times I mis-read their lips and threw their friends for a loop when I gave some crazy answer to a question. Sometimes we would laugh and laugh about it later, though I can't remember any of the details now. I wish I had written all my weird bloopers down.

I remember one time though. My son was about twelve and he had invited a new friend over. They had just started playing Nintendo when I began to walk through the room. The friend shouted something I didn't hear, then covered his mouth in embarrassment. My son, sitting on the sofa bragged, "It's OK, my mom is almost deaf, so you can cuss all you want at my house."

Then I added--"But I read lips-- so make sure your back is turned." Both boys pitched and gawked -- mouths hanging open in perfect O's. They did not realize I was in the room. I winked, and walked out laughing wickedly.
Ever since, I have wondered just exactly how much swearing went on behind my back. I'll never know. But my kids have turned out OK . . for the most part.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I gotta tell this! My 7 year old had a birthday Thursday. She was sitting on my bed before school that morning and I asked her what she wanted for dinner for her birthday. My nine-year-old walked in, washing her face, and stood there while Claire and I were talking. Claire thought for a minute about my question, and then said, "NO, Rachel, I don't want that!! This is MY birthday!!"
Big sister Rachel had been standing with washcloth over mouth, offering dinner suggestions...without my CI on, I didn't even know she was talking!! She knows how to take advantage...the little rat! ;)

Smudge said...

It must be hard to keep one step ahead of the kids. I get this stuff from my *parents*. LOL
My mum still talks about me as if I am not in the room! sheesh!

Tina
http://funnyoldlife.wordpress.com

Kim said...

haha--laughing with both of you.